Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody -- I have taken several classes here at the Chicago School of Woodworking. Coming up, I have a six week sabbatical at work that I would like to spend at a woodworking school full time. A couple of Google searches didn't present me with many options. Does anybody know of places in the US or Canada where one can go for several weeks, a month or six weeks and do a deep dive into woodworking?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I know there is the college of the redwoods in Fort Bragg, CA, but it's a community college. James Krenov started a woodworking school there which he ran for many years, and it was definitely well respected. The school still operates even though Krenov is long gone. I don't know the details of thier program, you would have to contact them, if you haven't already.

There is also the Arrowmont School of Arts & Crafts in Tennessee. They put on a woodworking symposium which features workshops, etc., but I think they have various classes which are ongoing and of the duration you're looking for.

Those are the only ones I know of, personally. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Exactly what are you looking for? What is your ultimate goal, do you intend to make woodworking a career or is just personal interest? There are several schools in Maine with various courses/workshops. Fantastic place to be in the summer. Limited opportunities in the winter.
http://www.woodschool.org/
http://www.brianreidfurniture.com/

There are also some specialty courses which are applicable to other woodworking pursuits, such as boat building, chair making, timberframing, etc.
http://www.apprenticeshop.org/

This is a directory to schools of different types across the country.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/woodworking-schools-directory.aspx

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hello Everybody -- I have taken several classes here at the Chicago School of Woodworking. Coming up, I have a six week sabbatical at work that I would like to spend at a woodworking school full time. A couple of Google searches didn't present me with many options. Does anybody know of places in the US or Canada where one can go for several weeks, a month or six weeks and do a deep dive into woodworking?
Best way to learn is by DOING. Try to find a job near you and actually DO some woodworking. Also get paid WHILE you 'learn'. :yes:

Reading a book or a magazine is not going to give one the same level of learning.

A single month is not very much learning though. Especially if it is a broken up into trying to learn a PILE of 'different' things. I could 'possibly' teach someone how to make a few different kinds of 'simple' cabinet doors in a month of time but to teach him to be able to make any darn kind of doors he wants with whatever sort of tools and bits are handed to him along with the door size list takes years for a lot of guys.

I am talking about learning to the point that someone can hand you a picture or sketch of the doors you need to be making, a door list and the blades you would be using and then pointing you to the machines that you would use those blades on... You then go set everything up and get it done. The guy that can do that has 'learned' to do doors... :yes:

·
where's my table saw?
27,747 Posts
stay the course Rob

You can benefit from a woodworking class if taught by someone with "teaching" ability, not just someone who is an excellent woodworker, and that is the dilemma. You have to find the person who relates best to you and can communicate their skills.

Years ago I taught a shop skills course to University sophomores and juniors. Learning the basics of each machine was important of course, but the students also learned a lot from one another as each one had a different interpretation of the assignment. When you are exposed to different techniques and methods of performing the same operation, that's the best way in my opinion.

Exploring the limitations of the bandsaw, the wood lathe, laminations, fastening method and joinery was exciting to these young students and the soaked it up with a vengence. They were also graded on their work and they were also paying for it.... some additional motivation no doubt. Attending a class that you are paying for gives you incentive like nothing else I know of.

You should narrow down your field of interest and seek out a school for that specialty. I know some luthiers whose skills in gluing and forming thin materials and structure in building the instrument bodies leave me wondering how they do it. :yes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try taking a look at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking, which is just south of Indianapolis. There is also a school near Burlington, Vermont which I looked into that may fit your desires.
Last option I've seen is up in Maine that is a serious school.

·
Registered
293 Posts
mmwood_1 said:
I know there is the college of the redwoods in Fort Bragg, CA, but it's a community college.
Just a note, College of The Redwoods is in Eureka, Ca. I use to live up in Eureka.

Eric

·
Registered
293 Posts
Anguspapa said:
Just a note, College of The Redwoods is in Eureka, Ca. I use to live up in Eureka. Eric
I just learned that College of The Redwoods has multiple campuses. I did not know that. So mmwood was right.

Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts