Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to wood turning, I have turned all of 4 items so far, and I need some advice.

I live in the Dallas area, but I have no idea where to get the better woods for turning and working with. My main source has been Home Depot and Lowes. Does anyone know any place in the Dallas Metro?

I am using a 48" x 12" Lathe that I bought from Harbor Freight. Here is a list of things I have done.

My first 2 items were carry handles for a large box. I didn't expect much, and got better than expected.

My third item was a Captured Ring Baby Rattle. (Picture attached)

And my fourth was going to be a set of nesting dolls, but instead I got one done (smallest). My fiancé now carries it to use for her engagement ring.

I used scrap white pine for each of these items. While I was able to get the final "product" that I was working towards, they are far from being works of arts.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well free is always good. Check with tree trimmers in your area and grab what you can. I have a big pile of logs that I got just like that.

Online I use http://woodbarter.com and http://gvwp.net both of those are great in fact Dave from GVWP is on Wood barter all the time. Swapping with people here or on other forums, find a turning club in your area and see what they have.

Did I mention free? Just a short drive from here I know of at least 4 big trees that people have taken down and still need to move. Saturday I could have stopped and gotten some from a couple of guys removing a huge limb from a yard.

·
7,222 Posts
Try http://www.woodfinder.com

I typed in ZIP code 75025, checked "Turning blanks" and got 10 results.

For example, I see a Rockler in Richardson, a Woodcraft in Dallas.

Closest was McKinney Hardwood Lumber in McKinney.

As ghost5 mentioned, drive around the neighbourhood and see if any trees are being taken down.

You can also glue pieces together to get a thicker blank. To illustrate, I made the blank for this pizza cutter handle from scraps. I cut the pieces at 45 deg and glued together.

FYI, this pizza cutter kit was from Woodcraft. Rockler also sell a kit.

Pizza_cutter_Keri_right_1399.jpg

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm in McKinney and have plenty of green wood to share. It's nothing real exciting but it's free. I'll even chainsaw it up for you.
In fact, if anybody near me wants some cedar elm I have a couple of 10-15 ft trunk sections I'm trying to use up before the borers get to it all. I have ash too but it's already pretty wormy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I sell turning blanks of all kinds. Mainly to people on here. I think I ask a fair price. I usually have domestic species on hand. And I usually have a few burls and spalted stuff too. I can stabilize blanks but I have found most people would rather have the blank cheaper than stabilized.

That being said...ditto what everyone else said. Nothing beats free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts