Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been given a pretty cool project to word on, 6 dining room chairs from the late 60's/early 70's. :thumbsup: So they have about 40 to 50 years of old gross wax and polish buildup on them, i want to remove it. What I would like is a chemical that I can fill the bathtub up with, dip the chairs in then rinse the chairs and voila, the gross wax is gone. Seriously, thats what I really want.:laughing: Is there such a product? If not (likely) then what is the best, chemically enhanced way to remove this gross stuff? Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Mineral spirits is what I've always used. I suppose you could fill the tub with it and soak the chairs :no:....naw, that's not a good idea. It might come off quicker if you use a synthetic mesh pad (Scothbrite or such) with the MS. You didn't mention whether you were trying to preserve the original finish.

Reactions: sabrelou

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yes, there are commercial hot dip furniture finish removing firms. You'll have to look in the yellow pages for your area.

That said, I do not recommend it. Because the chemicals are hot and the item is fully submerged there is great likelihood that there will be glue joint damage.

Mineral spirits will remove wax. Wet paper towels and wipe the item. Change towels frequently or you will just smear the gunk around.

A word of caution. Has the item even been "polished" or cleaned with a supermarket product like Pledge. Is so you may end up with fisheyes when you apply your new finish.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

Your cleaning might be more efficient if you did a wash of sorts. Set the furniture in a large tray or have a way of collecting the wash off. Use a brush and rags and start at the top with a very wet wash, using mineral spirits as a cleaner. Instead of just dampening a rag or paper towel, use a wet wash, which will soak the exterior and act as a carrier to remove the contaminants.

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
I use Dupont Prep-Sol Solvent. It is available at places that sell automotive paint. Mohawk Finishing Products also sells a furniture wash. These are products that you clean the wax off with rags though. I wouldn't recommend dipping the furniture to remove the wax. If you liquefy the wax in a tank it will penetrate into the wood rather than getting it off. With wipe on wax removers the wax is picked up with the rag and removed and if you change rags a lot will get more of it off the furniture. Besides the cost of putting any solvent in a bathtub enough to do the job would be prohibitive and very dangerous because of the fire danger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts