Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a CD shelf I've built, but I've bought a decorative curved strip (the pic shows the [one side curved] edge strip laying on the shelf it needs to fit to).

I first thought of using wooden dowels, but because of the curved edge, it'd be very easy to drill too far through the strip. I could perhaps drill through from below, but this seems like excess effort and hole making just to fit a strip that stops CDs sliding off. I want it more secure than just glue.

Any ideas welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
27,311 Posts
It's just a piece of quarter round trim. I would just nail the trim on. The problem with doweling it on is it would take multiple dowels to attach it and it's very difficult to get the spacing on multiple dowels exact, even if you used a doweling jig. As far as depth you could drill through a the center of a larger dowel and cut the dowel off leaving only the amount of drill bit you want to go into the wood. The dowel would make a stop to prevent going through. You can also buy stops to put on a drill bit which clamp to the bit with a set screw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Nailing yes, it's a thought, though would leave nail head marks though - unless it was angled from the back side. Though I appreciate my options are limited!

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
If you plan to install the 1/4 round mold without stain or paint, you could just glue it down with clear silicon caulk. Paints and stains won't stick to silicon.

You should use a 1 1/2" small brad if you decide to nail it. If you don't have a brad gun, pre-drill tiny holes before nailing carefully. Use a nail set to avoid hammer marks.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I know a lot of wood workers don't like it, but this is one of those places where I'd be inclined to use "DAP" contact cement.
Applied and cured properly, it will not be visible.
Contact cement bond will be more than strong enough to keep CDs in place.

Although contact cement makes a great bond, it is not impossible to remove. Cured, it's somewhat "rubbery". If you want to remove it in the future, it "rolls" off, somewhat like silicone sealer.

·
where's my table saw?
29,197 Posts
small rare earth magnets ...

Counter bore some matching holes in the shelf and the door stop and insert some tiny rare earth magnets. They will hold quite well, plenty for a stop for the CDs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts