Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a touch up kit that has something that I can use to touch up a table top that has been finished with General Finishes Java Gel Stain and High Performance top coat. There are a couple of small cracks where the veneer has lifted and it shows the original oak color. I am NOT going to strip the finish, repair the veneer, and restain. I just want to make the little cracks match the table top (it's in the leaf that I won't use much.) I tried putting stain over it but because of the top coat, it wouldn't work. Is there a touch up pen that is the right color? Does anyone know anything about "Exact Match" touch up cards?? Do they work? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
27,582 Posts
I could maybe give you a better answer if you would post a picture. Your best bet for a touch up is the same products you used to finish the piece to begin with. You can get the gel stain to bond to the spot by sanding the finish almost off. By roughing up the finish sanding it the stain has something to adhere to. Then when it's dry finish over it with the same finish. At first just apply the finish to the spot and sand between coats until it appears the finish is the same thickness as the rest of it. Then sand the entire area where the repair is and apply a coat over all of it. Just doing a spot will always look like a spot so you have to do all of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts