Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, I'm trying to figure out what the best tool for the job is. I'm interested in making some lamp bases similar to the planters I've linked. I imagine I'd start with logs and cut pieces off at random angles. My first thought was simply use a chainsaw to lop off random pieces but as the rule with chainsaws is, "if you can't hold it in place, you can't cut it safely," I thought instead a bandsaw may be a better option. I've only ever used a scroll saw, however, so I was hoping someone could shed some light on whether a bandsaw is even good choice for something like this and what to look for in a saw that can manage cutting logs 12-16" in diameter.

I would be buying used as I can't currently afford to drop $800-1200 on a new saw.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
You are better off using hand tools with those shapes. A hand saw, drawknife, hatchet, low angle plane. You can drill in a large lag bolt where the planter goes and use that to clamp in a vice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hand tools, eh? Certainly not the answer I was expecting. Is this due to the difficulty of holding the block safely while making cuts on something like a bandsaw or for some other reason?

I was hoping to be able to 'manufacture' them and hand tools sound like significantly more work, though I AM naive to the handiness/ease of a good saw. Only thing I've ever sawn by hand were branches from a tree when I was 10 or a 2x4 before my father let me use an electric saw.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Bluntly. If you can't dump $1000/$1200, forget it for now.
My guys could make the planter with a machete and draw knife but they have 40 years practice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blunt is good. What can you tell a guy who COULD drop $1,000? I'm still dumbfounded it's not as easy as throwing a log on a bandsaw table, adjusting the angle of the table a few times, hitting the planes with a sander and calling it a day.

I'm in no way taking lightly the 'art/skill' involved in woodwork.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. Okay, so I've done a tad more research on "cutting faceted blocks" and I'm starting to see how it could all make sense. My question now would be, what should I look for in a hand saw? It's not a rip saw I want, correct? Just your standard, well sharpened handsaw?

I like the idea of the lag bolt to hold it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts