Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been making peppermills with fairly large sweeping curves. The curves seem to big for a detail gouge, but the roughing gouge doesn't seem like the right tool. Also, the term "roughing" doesn't seem right for this type of work. I'm considering this 3/4" spindle gouge from Packard. Any thoughts on the best tool for this application?

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...duct_Code=100192&Category_Code=tools-pkrd-gsg

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would be careful when using a "roughing gouge" for any shaping without considerable experience with doing so. I assume you are referring to the spindle roughing gouge. It is best used for... well, roughing. Use it when turning spindles to round.

The best tool for anything is a personal thing, but most folks will probably agree that a bowl gouge or skew would be your best choice for what you are describing. I vote for the bowl gouge. Probably 1/2 inch size would be perfect for pepper mills.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Like any turning tool, it takes some practice but I'm loving the Sorby Spindlemaster. It can make most any cut and will leave an incredible finish that may not need any sanding. Easy to sharpen, no grinders or jigs, just flat on a stone.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
larger spindle gouges are great for that. I sharpen my spindle roughing gouge at about 35 degree included angle so it cuts these kind of things really well. My favorite is still the skew for that kind of cut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts