Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching a lathe to experiment with chair spindles/legs, table legs and small bowls. I'm new to turning. I have a set of tools from my father in law and can set up my grinder for sharpening them. Since I am not sure how much turning I will really do I don't want to invest a lot of money now but want enough tool to do what I want--if such an option really exists. It seems like I need to spend at least 500 $ and that is a bench top with extension or maybe a Grizz.

So after researching options, the Harbor Freight 12 x 33 3/8 (model 34706) keeps coming up as the only real alternative without sinking $500-600 or more which I would prefer not to especially if the HF is as capable as some of the older reviews I have found say it is.

Any feedback from turners out there on the HF? Or other options?

I admit to having a bit of a mental block purchasing an electrical tool from HF but many seem to think it is worth it. Would extended replacement warranty be worthwhile if I did?

Many thanks for feedback.

·
7,222 Posts
A good number of threads about lathes in the Woodturning forum.

Also look for threads on what else is needed in addition to the lathe.

Example thread.
Getting started

I was surprised at how many other items I needed to purchase after I got my lathe. Essentials are a good face shield in addition to the turning tools.

·
Registered
26,663 Posts
My only experience with the harbor freight lathe is looking at it at the store. It looks pretty good to me however I understand that the headstock swivels around 180 degrees. Other people that own the lathe claim it doesn't fasten down very well and tends to give under pressure of having wood in it. If that is true then it would be prone to allow the wood to come out and hit you in the face.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have that HF lathe. If you watch for a sale and then get a coupon it can be had for under $200. I have had no trouble with it and have learned to do many projects with it. Will I replace it sometime with a bigger or better model? sure, but the issue here right now is a starter lathe. I've got my money's worth of fun several times over with it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a harbor freight lathe, a older one about7 yrs old. On mine I had to get a thread adapter to attach a chuck to because of the thread tpi. I haven't used it in a while. I went and bought a rikon mini lathe that I use now instead. You might find a used lathe with all the toys if you're patient for a decent price.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the excellent feedback. I am leaning towards the HF but will give it a bit more time to check for some used other options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts