Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I loaded up my truck the other day with some wood that I aquired. I forgot about it and this morning I hopped in and the smell was great! Seriously they should make a wood scented (other then pine) car freshner. So that got me thinking. What are the best aromatic woods out there? I know the line from Anchorman where he says his apartment smells of rich mahogony so I am thinking that is probably up there.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Cedar is pretty great....but I prefer oak...there's a new company that recently moved in across the street from my office that makes oak products....so all day I get to smell freshly cut and sanded oak.....it's a little slice of woodworkers heaven every time I step out the door.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont have any cedar but I am getting a bunch of oak coming in. I think I will experiment and put some in my car the night before I go to work. Roll down the windows on the ride in and even though I sadly live in a city it makes the drive seem like heaven.

·
Hunter
240 Posts
I love the smell of cedar. It makes any project using that much more enjoyable.

But my second favorite is probably pecan.

While I love the look of oak, I don't like the smell.

Hunter

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Sassafras...that root beer smell is incomparable. If I could afford it, I'd cut some each day just for the aroma.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Cedar is great- olive makes shop smell like a winery.

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
Cedar is pretty great....but I prefer oak...there's a new company that recently moved in across the street from my office that makes oak products....so all day I get to smell freshly cut and sanded oak.....it's a little slice of woodworkers heaven every time I step out the door.
Are you privileged enough to get some of their cut offs or rejected pieces of lumber?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
EWerner said:
Are you privileged enough to get some of their cut offs or rejected pieces of lumber?
I haven't tried....I'm kinda snobby and only use rift saw or quarter sawn....I should run over and see what they make though.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Lol. That's me.

Apparently they make barrels....so probably white oak I'm guessing...and I usually prefer red oak...

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
I think the most interesting wood smell is monsonia. It smells like black pepper when you cut it. My wife likes the smell of ash cut with a dull blade. Teak is nice but too expensive for my snout. I think I like the smell of eastern red cedar the best though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts