Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I use a 80 tooth blade on my DeWalt compound miter, radial arm saw. That saw is used mainly for cross cuts, but some cuts with the grain, on both hard and soft wood. On my Ridged portable table saw I'm also using a 80 tooth blade mainly ripping and some cross cuts, on both hard and soft wood. Is this totally wrong? When doing my cuts on both saws I let the saw to the work and don't rush the wood through.

Eric Williams

·
Registered
996 Posts
An 80 tooth blade, I'm guessing 10", is a fine finish blade. I belive mine is a 90 tooth and that leaves a great finish on the wood.

That fine of a blade is meant for delicate cross cuts. Unless your only doing cross cuts on your table saw, it shouldn't be on there. If you do a mix of ripping/ cross cutting, your best off with a combination blade. Around 40-50 tooth. Depending on the saw, that might even give you trouble ripping 1"+ solid hardwood.

If your doing alot of ripping, go buy a ripping blade. I just bought one for the first time( I've always had combination blades on my TS) and it made a HUGE difference. Effortlessly cut threw 5/4 red oak. That's a 24 tooth 10" blade. It was about 1/3 the cost of my 90 tooth MS blade.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Buy 2 more blades - a 40/50T combination and a 24T ripping. You can get the Freud Diablo's for each for very few dollars and your woodworking will take an order of magnitude leap forward (after you study what each of the 3 blades are designed for).

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I don't own a 5hp saw... my Jet 1 1/2hp saw could be converted to a 3hp... but why?

I don't need more hp because I don't mind switching out my blades for particular tasks. I own a 24t rip, a 60t crosscut and an 80t plywood blade. These let me cut any and types of wood in any and all thickness as long as I switch to the correct blade. I also own a contractor's 24t combination blade I keep in the saw when doing lots of construction type work requiring less then perfect cuts in pine, ply or whatever. It's a utility blade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.