Woodworking Talk banner

Best protective finish to preserve natural color (bar top)?

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Sanvito300 
#1 ·
What would be the best option for finishing a piece of black walnut to be used as a breakfast bar top taking the following into account:
  • Trying to preserve the natural color as best I can, except for grain.
  • Will be using an oil based pore filler.
  • Durability/protection are key.
  • No access to spray guns.
  • Not looking for much of a sheen.
Is there anything out there that fits all these categories? I would please love some suggestions including specific product names. Thank you so much.

#2 ·
On walnut I would recommend just common oil based polyurethane. It's water and chemical resistant and will make the grain pop when applied. Then should it get damaged is easy to repair and touch up. It's available in a multitude of sheens however the glossier you use the more durable it will be. That is true with any film finish. The flattening compounds that makes a finish satin makes it slightly more porous.

#3 ·
Thank you for coming through again with the help. So I’ve seen other places that they recommend using a gloss as the first few coats and finishing up with your satin or matte. And the reasoning was to prevent a cloudiness forming in the finish. Do you find that to be true at all? Also, would you recommend a wipe on polyurethane or just stick with the regular kind? I’m just concerned about brush marks but as long as I sand and buff after it should be fine, correct?

#8 ·
You probably used too coarse paper for between the coats sanding. You may be able get rid of the scratches by sanding it and applying another coat but don't use any coarser paper than 220 grit. Also be sure to sand in the same direction of the wood grain. Scratches across the grain show up a lot more. If the scratches don't go away with another coat you may have to use a second coat.

#10 ·
A grain filler is more or less wood putty. You should only have to use one coat and when dry sand it once before using a sealer or finish. If you have over thinned the grain filler or not allowed to dry long enough before wiping off the excess that would be the only circumstance that you would need another coat of grain filler. In that case you wouldn't need to sand it before you have applied the second coat. I've never experienced a dye bleeding through a finish. Any I've used is more like permanent ink and would not bleed through the finish even brushing it. As far as between the coats sanding of a finish I do it every time regardless of how smooth it is. Every time a finish is sanded the surface gets smoother and more level and with most finishes aids the adhesion of the next coat.

#11 ·
If you're looking to preserve the natural color of the wood and aren't looking for much of a sheen why not use Rubio Monocoat? It's easy to apply, just one or two coats needed. About the only way you can mess it up is to leave too much on. It's also very easy to repair and match if the piece ever gets damaged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.