Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Hi Sheri.
Yea I'm no fan of helmsman spar urethane (aka) marine varnish.
If I were you I would use a wipe on poly. It's fool proof and you just wipe it on with a lint free terry cloth (white) after the finish is dry, you can lightly sand with 220 and then wipe off sanding dust.
Remember to lightly sand. Your just scuffing the top so the next coat will adhere to it and remove dust nibs. If your sanding between coats and its gumming up your sandpaper, than the finish isn't dry enough.

I've had pretty good results using those foam brushes, but you have to get the good ones.
Not the cheap ones. You can tell.

I've also used a bristle brush with very good results. Use a china bristle brush. Their pricy, but worth it.

If your having streaks, it's probably from brushing on to fast. Try slowing down a bit.
Light coats is best. It'll dry faster and you can add a couple of coats per day. Depending on the whether.
Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.
Good luck.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
You can get a china bristle brush at most hardware stores.
I'd go with the wipe on if it were my first time finishing. Not those blue shop cloths.
Terry cloth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.