Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be expanding my shop - I'm going from all portable stuff that is really too small for my needs, to a dedicated area with machines that are permanent. 1st thing I need is a planer. My dewalt is 12.5 inches, and even though it is good, many times it is not quite big enough, and this fall I ran into a situation where I needed some wide boards planed. The biggest I might tackle would be in the lower teens, but I did have some 22+ inch boards that I had to do. I'd rather not outsource stuff, cause I just don't have the time, hence I'd like to get a machine capable of doing the job. That leads to my question...... Who makes the best 20+ inch planer???? I was looking around for some used Powermatic machines, but many that I find are 18 inch. I'm not in a hurry, as my new shop is several months to a year from being ready for any machines. Weight is not an issue, and I will have a 220 service in my shop, probably up to about 100 amp, single phase. That's another question - should I specifically look for single phase machines, or would a 3 phase and a converter do fine? Also I like something that is not near as loud as my dewalt. I need Ear muffs for mine, but when I had to take a few boards this fall to be planed, the shop I went to had a big planer, and it was quiet. I'm not sure what brand it was, but I did not recognize the brand, but it was green and had a digital depth adjustment. The guys using it had ear plugs, but I was standing only a few feet away and could carry on a conversation in a talking voice. Is that the big deal with the helical cutter head (that they're quiet), or is it the fact that a guy can change just one little square when it gets damaged/dull.

Rodney

·
Registered
26,869 Posts
There is certainly nothing wrong with Powermatic. They do make a 20" planer however if you are looking for used it would probably be easier to find a 24" model. Unless you purchase a planer with a helical head it is going to be loud regardless of the brand. If you do purchase a machine that runs on three phase, a phase converter will work fine. I have two machines that use three phase and I'm miles from three phase service. You could use a VFD or a rotary phase converter. I wouldn't use a static phase converter. As far as who makes the best planer, I think it's Northfield. They are hard to find used and pricy. I believe they are the last US company that makes woodworking machinery in heavy cast iron like the antique machinery.

·
preserving the past
137 Posts
I have to say I have a lot of Grizzly tools in my shop and I have never had a serious issue with any of them. I have a 15" spiral planner and love it. my one construction buddy says it runs like a Cadillac

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
I would install a 15 or 20 hp Rotary phase converter and find you a big old hunk of iron 24" planer, as an added bonus you can get a big ol jointer, table saw, 5 head tenoner, edge sander, 36" bandsaw, etc.

All can be had for cheap compared to shiny tin boxes or the cost of a new northfield.

Look for Yates, Oliver, Northfield, Tannewitz, American, Greenlee, Oakley, Crescent, SCMI, Martin, SCM, etc.

I have 3 24" planers, a Yates American, American 1 1/2, and a Bentel. All there combined cost me 800 bucks.

I have lots of big stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts