Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some slides between 30" and 36" for a sliding door for my fish tank, not having much luck finding drawer slides in those sizes. Its a saltwater tank so it would be nice if they were stainless but the only stainless slides I can find are crazy expensive.

Anyone have any suggestions on websites that would sell drawer slides this large?

thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir, those were quite helpful.

Searching for those accurides led me to find this, and I was wondering if there was something wrong with me using the 36 inch version of these http:
//www.drawerslides.com/36inch-ryadon-2250-quick-disconnect-250lb-over-ext-drawer-slide

Much cheaper but besides the load rating I dont see much difference. Should I spend ther extra 80 and get the 36 inch accurides?

Also, regarding load rating, does that denote load PER slide, or total weight that can be held by the pair together?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those slides will work. The load rating is for the pair. How substantial the drawer will be will depend on the drawer itself and how well the slides are mounted and installed to the drawer and the cabinet sides.

The door I will be using them for will be roughly 1 inch thick, about 3 ft x 3 ft out of Ambrosia Maple. I dont think it will be anywhere near the total load bearing, although the way the load is applied to the slides will be a little different since its a door with the two slides on the same plane, one on the bottom and one on top, vs. a drawer where they are opposite each other.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How large is your fish tank? Water is a little over eight pounds per gallon. 20 gallon tank will be over 160 pounds plus the wight of the tank. A 2 x factor of safety will require at least a 350 pound drawer slide.

Or is the door just a covering in front of the tank? In which case could you just use door track with ball bearings for rollers?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How large is your fish tank? Water is a little over eight pounds per gallon. 20 gallon tank will be over 160 pounds plus the wight of the tank. A 2 x factor of safety will require at least a 350 pound drawer slide.

Or is the door just a covering in front of the tank? In which case could you just use door track with ball bearings for rollers?
The tank is already on the stand, been running for a couple months. The door slides will simply be attached to the front of the the stand. We in the fish tank world call them "skins". The only weight the slides will hold is the weight of the door wood. 3 foot by 3 foot of a mix of cherry and ambrosia maple shouldnt be too much.

Will the door tracks be visible if used? I want everything to be hidden as much as possible.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
The tank is already on the stand, been running for a couple months. The door slides will simply be attached to the front of the the stand. We in the fish tank world call them "skins". The only weight the slides will hold is the weight of the door wood. 3 foot by 3 foot of a mix of cherry and ambrosia maple shouldnt be too much.

Will the door tracks be visible if used? I want everything to be hidden as much as possible.
The capacity of the slides is in part because of their length. Yes, the tracks will be visible unless you make a shroud. Drawer slides aren't meant for that application.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The capacity of the slides is in part because of their length. Yes, the tracks will be visible unless you make a shroud. Drawer slides aren't meant for that application.

I understand they arent meant for this type of shear force load, but I think 9 board feet will be around 40 pounds, so it shouldnt have any problem holding it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts