Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make centers to use for finishing pen barrels. Obviously, I want them to be something finish doesn't' stick to, including CA. When I went shopping, there were a plethora of choices, HDPE, Nylon, Delrin and on and on. What's best?

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
i made a piece of scrap wood come to a point to fit in my chuck on the head stock and use my live center on the other
also putting wax on them will keep ca glue from sticking:yes:

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I know CA dosnt stick to Delrin. I have some HDPE around for other projects. CA will stick to it but not very well. I had to scuff the heck out of that stuff to get epoxy to stick to it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
As I understand it Delrin is a trade name but it is an acetal plastic. I am no chemist but I dont think CA sticks well to many high density plastics. The bushings I made do get CA on them but only after they have been scratched up. A quick touch up on the lathe and they are good as new. No stcking problems. I just used this rod because it came in a dowel and easier to make a bushing with.

·
Registered
380 Posts
A quick call to us plastics' tech department gave me the following:

Many materials would work including the plastics mentioned. However they recommended UHMD plastics.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Ill have to check them out. I need to turn some finishing bushings anyhow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts