Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am refinishing a coffee table and am unsure which finish to use. The table top has spaces in-between each pice of wood about a cm deep. I would like to use a finish that will fill those spaces and create a smooth finish for easier cleanup and to prevent crumbs and dust from getting stuck. Any recommendations on what the best finish is? Picture included

Attachments

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
You will not be able to alter the design of the table with a new finish. The grooves in the top are part of the design. Anything you do to try and fill the grooves will ruin the design and probably not look good. If you want to change the look and design of the top you can cover the entire top with a laminate or cover with MDF and paint the top.

·
Registered
27,884 Posts
There are clear fillers you could fill the grooves with but the table is going to expand and contract and the boards will be moving. This will cause what ever filler you use to separate from the wood making white streaks on the table and eventually the filler will just come out. You're better off to leave the cracks and finish the table and cover it with a sheet of glass if you want to keep debris out.

·
Registered
13,394 Posts
You could use a clear "bar top" finish like epoxy

I do not know how lots of coats of lacquer would look. Sufficient coats would fill the cracks. Whether or not the wood will move will depend upon how long the wood has been in its environment and there will be any periodic changes in the environment..

George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts