Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I need one that won't fog up on me and will be comfortable... ideas?
It's not a respirator but I have a Trend Air Shild Pro. It's a little pricy but it does not fog up and is comfortable when wearing. The air flow over the face is cooling.
Tom

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I too recently started using the Trend Airshield , liking it so far. Look at different vendors on the web, found mine for $100 less with a coupon on one site.
Dave H

·
humble artizan
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the 3M Versaflo respirator and I love it . It is light weight, quiet and it does not fog up. I was having respiratory problems and since I started using the Versaflo I have not any problems. It is expensive but my lungs are worth it.

JoAnn

·
humble artizan
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the 3M Versaflo respirator and I love it . It is light weight, quiet and it does not fog up. I was having respiratory problems and since I started using the Versaflo I have not any problems. It is expensive but my lungs are worth it.

JoAnn
looks like a real bargain if safety goggles and skull protection is added

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 3M Versaflo respirator does come with the face shied/helmet. It. Is very light weight and comfortable to wear all day long. I have been using it for a weeks now and it is still on the original charge . I tried the trend pro and found it to be too heavy and put too much strain on my neck . The 3M's battery pack is worn around your waist and eliminates that problem. I highly recommend this respirator for anyone who has respiratory problems and who can't have the weight of the trend pro on their neck.

Jo Ann

·
humble artizan
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jo Ann.. I am a no-neck but may end up trying both.. I will not be the only shop worker and extra safety gear will be essential

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Darkmoor said:
I need one that won't fog up on me and will be comfortable... ideas?
If this is for a business, I strongly recommend you contact a safety professional, industrial hygienist, or possibly your insurance company for some good guidance. Keep in mind OSHA applies to business and use of respiratory protection requires a thorough and proper evaluation. PM me if you'd like to discuss this from that perspective. I've been in the Environmental, Health & Safety field for over 20 years and I have a better than average background in industrial hygiene.

·
humble artizan
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If this is for a business, I strongly recommend you contact a safety professional, industrial hygienist, or possibly your insurance company for some good guidance. Keep in mind OSHA applies to business and use of respiratory protection requires a thorough and proper evaluation. PM me if you'd like to discuss this from that perspective. I've been in the Environmental, Health & Safety field for over 20 years and I have a better than average background in industrial hygiene.
The biz is too small at present to require any fed involvement

·
Registered
200 Posts
What about using a disposable face shield and an N95 - type "dust mask"?

http://shop.tps-online.com/prodimg/2324.jpg

Plus one of these: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tL-A82sRL._SX300_.jpg

Both are light, and disposable. At work, our animal caretakers use both, along with full tyvek suits, gloves, and booties when entering each animal room to change bedding/food etc.

Disclaimer: the links I gave were just for illustration purposes...you can easily search for various sources online.

Mark V.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Gilgaron said:
An N95 will protect you from large particles, like animal dander, but not small ones like dust or viruses.
An N95 will protect you from dust particles (including sawdust) and aerosol droplets - it is chemical vapors and fumes that it does not work against... Also, like you mentioned, they will not block viruses. I should know, I work in the occupational health & safety field. N95s are respirators, not face asks...there is a distinction between the two ):

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/P...ies/PersonalProtectiveEquipment/ucm055977.htm

BTW N95 respirators need to be properly fitted in order for them to work efficiently...beards are generally a "no - no" as they prevent a proper seal against the face.

Mark V.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
igster said:
I work in the occupational health & safety field. Mark V.
Me too. Been doing it since '89 myself.

Mark

·
Registered
909 Posts
I wear a P100 at home if I'm worried about dust, the 5% that gets through an N95 is the part that will get down in my lungs.

If I'm at work and an N95 won't cut it I wear a PAPR.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The nice thing about a PAPR is that it's positive pressure and you don't have to worry about fit...the motor is a bit of a pain tho, especially if you have to wear a 4 gallon backpack sprayer like I do when doing a lab decon. Love the dog pic - reminds me of my daughter's choc. Lab Bogie...a 90 lb lap dog who also loves to sit on peoples' feet):

1 - 19 of 19 Posts