1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best types of wood for:

• End-grain cutting boards?
• Face-grain cutting boards?

I currently have for use, Elm, Ash, Black Walnut and Maple and trying to get suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Walnut and maple work well. The ash is open pores like oak so its not really the beat choice. And sorry I do.t know a thing about elm never worked with it. Or even seen an at the lumber yard actually.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wood_chucker said:
Walnut and maple work well. The ash is open pores like oak so its not really the beat choice. And sorry I do.t know a thing about elm never worked with it. Or even seen an at the lumber yard actually.
I have a lot of elm and am not sure if I can use it or not - hence the question.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well after doing a little bit of reading it appearance elm too us an open grained wood which would make it not a good option for cutting boards or other items that will see food and water.

Google is your friend.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I looked Elm up in my copy of "Encyclopedia of Wood" (The Encyclopedia of Wood, New Edition: A Tree by Tree Guide to the World's Most Versatile Resource: Aidan Walker, Nick Gibbs, Lucinda Leech: 9780816061815: Amazon.com: Books). It says: "American Elm is used in boat and ship building for stern posts, ribs, general framing, gunwales, bilge stringers, keels, rubbing strips, and components that are completely submerged in water; also for underwater parts in dock and harbour work. Other uses are wheel hubs, blades of ice hockey sticks, agricultural implements, chair rockers, gym equip., bent work for car bodies and ladder rungs, It is excellent for turning, and can be sliced for decorative veneers and burls. White Elm has high, and Rock Elm has very high resistance to shock loads."

So, even though it doesn't mention cutting boards, I would think it would work fine, seeing it can withstand water and is very durable. That is just my guess, since I have not used it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm not sure about elm but the reason you don't use oak or ash is because of the open grain. Food particles can get stuck in them and eventually turn it black. If elm has similar open grain I would think it would be the same, but there is only one way to find out. If you got plenty of the stuff just give it a whirl. If it doesn't work out maybe you can use it as a trivet or something lol.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I've made them out of maple and one out of poplar. I think maple is by far the best but I also make them out of bamboo. Which of course is not wood. The ones out of bamboo are thin. 1/2" thick about 20" Long and 14" wide. I treated them with nothing and they work great. I know guys lament over what to finish and treat them with here about every week but nothing has worked great for me for over 35 years.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I use walnut, cherry and maple for my cutting boards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts