Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Hobby Collector :)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I got my bench going together and it's 8 feet wide 32" deep with 2 layers instead of 3 as originally planned. I made the change to leave the top off of it for height concerns with a few 2 foot tall 3D printers. I left the extra height of the legs in case I want to make a simple enclosure for drafts at a later date. The 2 layers are made of 2 by 4's with 7 cross braces including the ends and are identical. Then a piece of 3/4 plywood and a piece of 3/8" BCX plywood on top of that. The whole back center will be 1/4" thick pegboard. It if pretty sturdy already but still needs bracing. What would be the best way to go about this? I thought of 1/2" plywood triangles with 2 on every corner at the intersection of the table tops. Or the regular angled braces on the short sides where the tall end faces opposite directions. Or the "X" where you notch out the centers. But what about the long back of the unit? Ideas?
Thanks,
Voltage

Rectangle Parallel Font Pattern Slope

Wood Bunk bed Wood stain Hardwood Flooring

·
Registered
Hobby Collector :)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1/2” ply, 12” sides.
Great. Thanks Robert. I made a 8" cardboard template and it looked a bit small so your reply confirms this. I also realized the sides will require a different type gusset, likely 2x lumber. I will add a pic to show you what I mean. I guess I could add another full length 2x4 and then use the 12" triangle over it, but maybe you have another idea. I have plenty of left over short 2x4 pieces so I will likely do that method.

Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Table

1 - 5 of 5 Posts