Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I apologize if this question has already been asked a zillion times but I am new to the forum and haven't really figured out the best way to navigate the forum.

Anyways, my girlfriend and I are about to re-furbishing a wood dresser and need to pick up a belt sander.

Wanted to know what the consensus is about the best belt sander on the marketplace for under $75.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
26,645 Posts
I wouldn't call it the best but I use Harbor Freights 3x21 sander. You could get two of them for 75 bucks. It gets the job done.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I am a fan of porter cable's line of belt sanders as well as their ROS.

I am not sure I would want to use a belt sander on a dresser refinish job though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

What type of sander would you use?

The dresser's dimensions are:

66"L
31"H
19"D

·
Registered
26,645 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

What type of sander would you use?

The dresser's dimensions are:

66"L
31"H
19"D
The dimensions of the dresser doesn't really matter. What matters is if the top of the dresser is made of solid wood or veneered. If veneered a belt sander is the wrong tool. Anyway since you don't have any experience with a sander a 4"x24" sander would be easier for you to learn on. The working area of the sander has a bigger area and easier to keep flat. You need to practice on some scrap wood before you sand on the dresser. A belt sander can make shallow dents in the wood you can't see until you have the new finish on it. I would recommend you thoroughly sand the dresser with a random orbital sander after using a belt sander. Even a experienced woodworker can make a mark with a hand held belt sander.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts