Woodworking Talk banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Does anyone know why my accounts at sawmill creek never get activated? It says your account has to be sent in for review by a moderator before your account can be activated. It lets me log in for a few hours, but I can't post anything. Then after a few hours it won't let my log in. It just says you have a invalid username or password. I have tried several times with the same thing happening each time.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
What was the final straw in getting him banned? He came across wrong, but pretty sure he meant no harm.
One way of getting banned is to tell everyone in a post you are going to his representative in Congress and make the forum (WWT) responsible for the "stalker" and that the Mods would need to vet and verify the identity of all members.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Why couldn't you make a device that uses the incoming and outgoing tides to harness the power to generate power. Kinda would be free and "green"...
They HAVE been built, and there are a few non-obvious problems with them (that is, non-obvious if you don't think about the device for more than a few seconds...)

The chiefest problem being that water near shore is not just water: it carries suspended particles: grit, mud, other junk, including fish... The device works, as do all such devices, by removing energy from the water and delivering it to the output shaft. This slows the water down, causing it to loose it's burden of "junk", which gets deposited inside the machine...

This is NOT GOOD for the machine - turbine, or whatever. So your very expensive, and very heavy, device gets plugged up, or worn out from the grit, or in other ways gets degraded to the point of uselessness rather rapidly.

And, being placed in a location with high-speed currents, it is a pluperfect BITCH to maintain...

Get the picture?

·
where's my table saw?
27,898 Posts
not my idea...

After thinking about it for 25 seconds, my idea would have no inlets to get clogged with debris. More like a water wheel or a wind mill vane type thingy .... but I know nothing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
After thinking about it for 25 seconds, my idea would have no inlets to get clogged with debris. More like a water wheel or a wind mill vane type thingy .... but I know nothing.
That is true, but.... the efficiency of an unshrouded set of blades is rather low.. Remember: a turbine works by removing energy from the working fluid: be it a gas (air, for example, or steam, for another example) or liquid: i.e. water. It is important to control the flow of your working fluid past the "blades", whether they be fan blades or a paddle wheel of some sort.

Paddle wheels are especially low in efficiency: this means translating flow to rotation, or vice versa (a paddle wheel steam boat, for example. Oars for another.

Sorry... It has been tried, and it just doesn't pay for itself.:thumbdown:

41 - 46 of 46 Posts