Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sort of looking at Parallel clamps over the last several months. Mainly I've been looking for a good deal. Currently Woodcraft has the K-Body REVO Jr clamps at what seems like a good 2-piece price for their 24" & 36" sets. I realize the Jr versions are for 900 lbs vs the standard clamp is 1500 lbs of pressure.

So, is the extra strength really worth it and is it really necessary?

Also, are these good clamps? What differentiates a good parallel clamp from a great or bad one?

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have 4 of the Bessey 36" clamps and they preform well considering I got them on sale at Lowes. :thumbsup:

IMO, the only time you would actually need the strongest clamps is when gluing up panels from 8/4 lumber for a huge table top. Otherwise for most of the 3/4 and smaller stuff, the jr style should work.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You will also loose 1/2" of throat capacity with the jr. Some times that won't matter sometimes it will. Cauls can probably overcome this in most situations.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
johnnie52 said:
I have 4 of the Bessey 36" clamps.
Johnnie,

Are your clamps the K-Body or F-Series style clamps?

Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
It really depends on what you are building. If you do much cabinet work then the parallel clamps would be worth it. If you do smaller work using light weigt wood then you probably don't need them. In any event you will never have enough clamps!

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
patternboy said:
It really depends on what you are building. If you do much cabinet work then the parallel clamps would be worth it. If you do smaller work using light weigt wood then you probably don't need them. In any event you will never have enough clamps!
My intention is to start doing some cabinet work. I'd like to make full cabinets for my garage for practice, then move on to the bathroom vanities and then kitchen.

While I completely agree that you can't have enough clamps, available $$ dictates otherwise. I'm trying to figure out how many of what sizes I need to make one cabinet at time. I was thinking to start with (2) 24" & (2) 36-40" clamps.

Mark

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've got a good collection of Bessey K-bodies (and some of the Uni-Klamps.) I scored on an internet/price matching war between HD and Lowes many years ago and picked up quite a few 40 and 50 inchers...I would gladly trade half of them, straight up, for more 24 inchers! I also brought a small collection home from my Dad's old shop back in May.

I like them a lot...all older style k-bodies and they work great. I rarely find need for those 40 and 50 inch clamps, but being in the cabinet business, you might find them more useful than I do. I would have to think though that the 24 and 36 inchers are what you'll find yourself using most.

·
Registered
722 Posts
mn pete said:
I've got a good collection of Bessey K-bodies (and some of the Uni-Klamps.) I scored on an internet/price matching war between HD and Lowes many years ago and picked up quite a few 40 and 50 inchers...I would gladly trade half of them, straight up, for more 24 inchers!
I have a magic machine called a portaband that could do this for you. ;^)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had a problem with one of my Bessey K-body clamps once: the sliding piece wouldn't slide along the bar. It was beyond any warranty period, but I emailed them and got a response asking for more details. I sent them photos and a video of me trying to slide the piece. They sent me a new sliding jaw, no charge at all, no hassle either. That's why I now buy Bessey clamps.

Oh, I really like the clamps, too.

Kevin H.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have around 50 of the original K-body clamps and prefer them to the Jet and Jorgenson parallel clamps. Try to keep glue off of the beams as it will make operation difficult.

I also have around 25 of the Bessey EKT55 edge clamps and find them superior to all others I've tried . . . but they are expensive. They make quick work of banding curved edges.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Johnnie,

Are your clamps the K-Body or F-Series style clamps?

Mark
Mine are the K-body clamps. I also own several of the "cam" style clamps that look like a sliding F from several makers in sizes from 6 to 48 inches, but technically none of the actual f series clamps. I do not like the 48" cam style because they tend to bend under pressure. The K-bodys hold tight and don't bend at all no matter how much I crank on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.