Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
To others:
Note the details. These aren't the usual rings with a metal ring blank on the inside and then mounted on a special chuck, and "spindle turned" on a lathe with the grain parallel to the finger, much like pens are made.

These are rings where the grain is perpendicular to the finger. The wood is bent in a circle. Both the inside and outside are bent wood. No metal ring blank is involved. That technique is much more challenging, but the results speak for themselves.

Sweet! Nicely done!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful wood and work. I have some projects I'd like to try bending for, nothing that tight of a radius though. :eek:
Thanks Bob, that means a lot as I'm just getting started with this.! Yeah, ya gotta soak in hot water for a while and even step bend for smaller ring sizes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To others:
Note the details. These aren't the usual rings with a metal ring blank on the inside and then mounted on a special chuck, and "spindle turned" on a lathe with the grain parallel to the finger, much like pens are made.

These are rings where the grain is perpendicular to the finger. The wood is bent in a circle. Both the inside and outside are bent wood. No metal ring blank is involved. That technique is much more challenging, but the results speak for themselves.

Sweet! Nicely done!
Wow, thanks for that! The specs will be much tighter though once I get a lathe.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
@Tool Agnostic the grain is perpendicular to the finger? The grain wraps around the finger.
Yes. The grain wraps around the finger on the rings that @Cabbagepulley makes. You can see it in the photos. That is not common. He/she does not use a metal ring blank - that is not common either.

I did a quick web search and found an example of the common way to make rings, with a metal insert and the grain parallel to the finger. This is easier, and it is not what Cabbagepulley is doing:
https://youtu.be/IUJCkBRUKrY

Note: Many people use a special ring mandrel rather than delryn bushings.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I meant I'd call perpendicular to the finger something like a wagon wheel spoke, a radius. But I'm easily confused lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes. The grain wraps around the finger on the rings that @Cabbagepulley makes. You can see it in the photos. That is not common. He/she does not use a metal ring blank - that is not common either.

I did a quick web search and found an example of the common way to make rings, with a metal insert and the grain parallel to the finger. This is easier, and it is not what Cabbagepulley is doing:

That was a good video and would like to use that method as well. Once I get good enough to sell (repeatable, consistent process), I plan on having a range of designs and methods for both construction and finish. I learned how to do this from Dan Rees at Zebrano Woodcraft,
"How to make wooden rings without power tools".

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I meant I'd call perpendicular to the finger something like a wagon wheel spoke, a radius. But I'm easily confused lol.
You're right. I was searching for a way to describe it that others would understand. "The grain wraps around the finger" would have been better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts