Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here’s a step-by-step, no lathe creation of an Indian Rosewood ring, glossy finish, size 7 1/2 and 5mm width.

I cut a strip 4mm wider than the ring’s final width in case of edge splitting when wet wrapping and just extra room to work with. It’s been sanded/tapered on one end to about the thickness of a sheet of paper which ensures no kink from a thick end will be present in the wrap. 
Blue Black Wood Floor Flooring

Speaking of edge splitting, I use strips of thin cardboard as a backing for the wet strip when wrapping around a larger than needed form. This is necessary on more splintery woods but thought I’d play it safe here.
Wood Flooring Hardwood Gas Composite material

And now I have wrap of wet veneer waiting to dry as this trains the wood to keep the circular shape. Step bending from a large to smaller form is sometimes needed for difficult woods…veneer softener helps too. 
Hand Wood Finger Fluid Automotive tire

Now it’s time to test wrap on the target sized form. For this 7 1/2 ring, I’ll need a form that’s at least a 1/4 size. The inside will be sanded down but built back up as the CA finish is applied. For now, I use a tape-wrapped socket to hit the needed diameter. Per calculations, I could make almost six wraps around the form, but It’s important to not have a partial wrap as it would result in one side thicker than the other. I leave an extra centimeter when cutting off the excess and taper that end as well.
Hand Fluid Finger Nail Gas

Now for the glue-up. I use thin cyanoacrylate or CA (super-glue) applied with a toothpick in sections and rolled tight until fully glued. Sometimes I’ll roll it tight, tape and apply CA to each edge and capillary action does the rest.
Hand Liquid Bottle Wood Fluid

Once a good bit of CA is added to each edge for overall stabilization, I now have a rough blank ready for sanding near the target width of 5mm.
Wood Natural material Jewellery Flooring Door

After sanding and shaping from 240 to 600 grit, current width is 4.7mm, 2mm thick and size 8 1/4.
Tire Wood Jewellery Natural material Electric blue

Time for the finish. I’ve applied multiple coats of CA to all surfaces. Pretty rough looking now but the next step is wet sanding and polishing all the way to 15,000 grit.
Hand Finger Thumb Wood Nail

A bit of burnishing cream and some carnauba/polymer wax later and…
Brown Horseshoe Wood Pet supply Rim

So there you have it! An Indian Rosewood ring with a glossy finish outside and satin finished inner for ease of movement on the finger.

Final dimensions…
Size: 7 1/2
Average Width: 4.9mm
Average Thickness: 2.6mm
Weight: 0.7 grams

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to write up your process and take the photos. That's really interesting and fun to see how you do that. Really enjoyed that post. 😁

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to write up your process and take the photos. That's really interesting and fun to see how you do that. Really enjoyed that post. 😁
Same here!

Reactions: Cabbagepulley

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! Glad I could do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts