Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm looking for information on bending wood what types of wood work? Can you bend whitewood or poplar?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1/4 to 1/2 inches thick. I don't have the ability to steam bend so hot water maybe or a jig if that works.

·
Super Moderator
5,358 Posts
1/4 to 1/2 inches thick. I don't have the ability to steam bend so hot water maybe or a jig if that works.
If you have a form, you can heat the wood to the point of just before scorching then clamp it to the form. If you are laminating, you can heat the next piece, clamp it on top of the last piece, wait until it cools then you can take it off, glue it up and reclamp it on top of the piece on the form.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We bend Poplar on a daily basis, but we laminate our items.

I am not home at the moment, I can post pics later.

We use a jig to form our pieces.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a form, you can heat the wood to the point of just before scorching then clamp it to the form. If you are laminating, you can heat the next piece, clamp it on top of the last piece, wait until it cools then you can take it off, glue it up and reclamp it on top of the piece on the form.
Heat the wood in what way? In the water, steam, or just heat? Also if anyone has instructions for a cheep (really cheep) steam box that would be helpful.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
If you trying to go cheap, a glue lam is your best bet. No water, heat or steam required.

As a general rule (with exceptions of course) the harder woods are more conducive to bending. Soft woods tend to crimp and splinter more readily.

Poplar will do fine for a glue lam. Google bent wood lamination and you will find a wealth of info. Read until you have the basics then come back with any specific questions or clarification. You need to have a general idea of what you are trying to do.

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you trying to go cheap, a glue lam is your best bet. No water, heat or steam required.

As a general rule (with exceptions of course) the harder woods are more conducive to bending. Soft woods tend to crimp and splinter more readily.

Poplar will do fine for a glue lam. Google bent wood lamination and you will find a wealth of info. Read until you have the basics then come back with any specific questions or clarification. You need to have a general idea of what you are trying to do.

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
I think that the thickness of wood I'm going for maybe too thin for this technique.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Ricco said:
two 1/2"x4"x6' board bend into a general ski shape.
Skis, snowboards and skateboards are made via bent lamination using veneer sheets epoxied together... Some include layers of carbon fiber and such for strength.

Unless this is a super secret national security project... you really need to be a lot more specific about what your trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Without steam, I would be leery of trying to bend something 1/2 and even 1/4 as to me it seems too thick for a "dry" bend. The thickest I'd try using just a form and clamps would be 1/8. Glue up several layers of 1/8 to get to the total thickness and shape. IMO you would need about one clamp for every inch and a half on the bend. Then one clamp every 4 inches on the straight part of your ski shape.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts