Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have turned wooden hats and unfortunately made several times the experience of destroying the result when trying to shape the hat and bend the brim (probably too agressively!). I have seen that various turners recommend to keep the moisture in the wood when turning by wetening the wood during the turning process and soak the wooden hat before starting the final bending process. Others recommend quote It is best to let the hat set for about 12 hours after turning so the wood can loose most all it's moisture before trying to bend the brim. unquote

What is the recommended procedure. Any experience with either procedure?? Thanks for any help.

Ungo

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

I have turned wooden hats and unfortunately made several times the experience of destroying the result when trying to shape the hat and bend the brim (probably too agressively!). I have seen that various turners recommend to keep the moisture in the wood when turning by wetening the wood during the turning process and soak the wooden hat before starting the final bending process. Others recommend quote It is best to let the hat set for about 12 hours after turning so the wood can loose most all it's moisture before trying to bend the brim. unquote

What is the recommended procedure. Any experience with either procedure?? Thanks for any help.

Ungo
I've never turned a brimmed hat, so my advice is just my opinion...which could be skewed by an overdose of Cheerios. It seems to me that in order to shape wood, that when wet for an extended period of time, and slowly moved into a certain position, and held there until it dries out might work, as in steam or soak bending.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I myself have never turned a hat. But a friend of mine that lives near by has. He turns it down to 1/8" thickness. Uses a rack that he built to bend the brim using rubber bands and gentle heat(heat lamp). And every couple hours he will bend it a little further and a little further until he gets it where he wants it.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
I have seen some one use a ..

a u shaped shop made wood form to shape the brim. Kinda like what was previously mentioned. The person who made the hats said the rubber never needed adjustment and would over the course of a few days gradually force the hat down into the u. He used green wood. I don't think it works with dry wood.

Also, if (while you are turning) you use a 40 watt bulb on the back side of the hat, turn the brim thickness until you can detect the light through; translucent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.