Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Looty
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a drill press. Any advice on which direction I should go with bench top or floor mounted? Is it just a preference or is there a reason why I would choose one over the other?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Most floor standing drill presses have more quill travel, and a deeper throat from the quill to the back of the post, allowing you to drill further out.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Generally,if you're comparing DP's from your local Borg then yes,benchtops aren't that great.

But that's at homestores........there are industrial strength "benchtops".To the tune that they use identical heads as their floor model bretherns.

And then theres another whole classification of benchtops that are called sensitive drills.Used for tiny holes.Imagine having a less than 1/16" drill in a big 20" DP?Our Pratt & Whitney sensitive drill is a WHOLE lot nicer than about 90% of the typical floor model DP's seen in the home market.And its about the size of your computer keyboard.

But never pass up a cheap(25-50$)benchtop.They make really good paint stirrers.Not joking!

·
7,222 Posts
I used a bench top drill press for many years. I found I did not like the height of the machine when mounted on a bench so eventually made a stand so I could get the machine at my desired height.

I eventually upgraded to a floor standing machine. I would not want to go back to using a bench top machine.

The typical floor standing machine has larger motor, larger swing, more quill travel, bigger table, perhaps bigger diameter on the chuck, all desirable features in my view.

I was easily able to bog down the motor on the bench drill press which I think is 1/3HP. No power problems with my 1 HP floor standing unit.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Agree with most (no experience with "sensitive" drills). If you have the space, floor models are worth the extra cash.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I own a Delta bench top and it has served me perfectly for many years. That said, there is a lot of truth in the fact that a floor model would have been better. I just don't have the room for one.

·
Registered
27,582 Posts
I've had a bench model drill press I bouight in 1982 I just sit on a small table. I have the room for a floor model but have never had any reason for a floor model.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I have the bigger bench model Delta. I have only had a few times when I wish it was bigger or a floor model. Day in and day out its easier to work with the smaller chuck. I also built a cabinet to set it on so I could store the drill press items out of sight. This gives you the ability to set it for your height. Everybody's input on this one is right so you really won't go wrong either way.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
13,213 Posts
I have only ever had a bench top. Often in a store I look at a floor model and wish I had one. Then reality comes into play and I realize I have never had a time when the bench top model did not do what I wanted.

It all depends upon the work that you do/will do. If you have the space and money then I would think it best to get the floor model.

George

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bigger capacity.

I have a bench top and several times I wish I had the floor model. I seems to always need just a hair more capacity. Drilling out stair balasters on a 40 degree slant with a 1/4 inch Forstner bit and I am stuck. :furious:

Bigger would be better if I had space.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I think its more about specs than bench vs floor model. I know Grizzly sells models which are identical except bench vs floor. I currently have a bench. The only reason I want a different DP is the 2" travel isn't enough.

One advantage I can see to the floor model is putting it on a mobil base.

Mark

·
Looty
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all of the great responses. Any suggestions for around a $300 price point? If I buy used, what should I be looking for?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts