Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to build a work bench. I would like to put a vice like this one in it. What kind of mechanism do I need?

image-3630133889.jpg

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Wagon vice- I think Highland has one- I would love to have one but a little spendy for me

Reactions: hwebb99

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I've thought about adding one to my next bench. It should be possible to build a wagon vise by using either a length of threaded rod and some coupling nuts (and other bits of hardware for the handle) or a veneer press screw. It's really just a block that slides back and forth in a hole in the bench, so don't overthink.

However, if you want to overthink it, I've been considering how to build one that would be open on both sides of the block. It would require that the block move on runners so that it's fully self-supported, and the screw inside one of the side tracks. I think I can make it work, but it's probably more effort than it's worth, given that it really wouldn't add much in the way of function to the vise.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Last year I had fully intended to set aside some funds for a good vice. I did some research and looked around, and was ready to drop some coin. Then I went into Harbor Freight...they had an under-mount bench vice for $30. Absolutely no convenience features, and the handle itself is a bit on the puny side. Still, $30!!! I bought it and put the extra funds into a few other tools. It may not last, but it does what I want it to for now. I can't say I regret buying it, and I also don't think my life would be drastically better if I'd spent more $$$$. Plus, I'm a [email protected] through and through.

That is a beautiful vice you're looking to build. I definitely respect the guys who are willing to put in that little bit of extra detail.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've thought about adding one to my next bench. It should be possible to build a wagon vise by using either a length of threaded rod and some coupling nuts (and other bits of hardware for the handle) or a veneer press screw. It's really just a block that slides back and forth in a hole in the bench, so don't overthink.

However, if you want to overthink it, I've been considering how to build one that would be open on both sides of the block. It would require that the block move on runners so that it's fully self-supported, and the screw inside one of the side tracks. I think I can make it work, but it's probably more effort than it's worth, given that it really wouldn't add much in the way of function to the vise.
The way I built mine was to offset the screw, and use guide runners made out of wood and UHMW Plastic. I need to tweak it as the clearances are a bit larger than it should be, but it works well.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Are there plans for this type of vise anywhere? I bought two of this type of mechanisms a few years ago by mistake and didn’t know what to do with them.

Reactions: hwebb99

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Google Wagon vise and there are a few builds using different types of screws.

Reactions: hwebb99 and Sleeper

·
Registered
620 Posts
Lee Valley has an inset vise that accomplishes the same thing. Or you could use their tail vise mechanism and attach the traveler to it.

They also sell the screws if you want to build your own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts