Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an existing bench seat with storage. I am trying to add lid supports for safety (no slamming shut, hold in place when up). I previously did the same for my daughters built-in toy box using Toy Box Lid Supports...

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/SPECIALTY+HINGES/Chest+Hinges+-+Box+Hinges+-+Lid+Supports/Toy+Box+Lid+Supports/Toy+Box+Lid+Supports,+Weight+Rated

Unfortunately, the dimensions are slightly different on the bench seat and I cannot get them to work. No matter how I place them, the lid will not fully close (due to physically hitting the hinge, not due to the weight).

I have attached a diagram of the bench seat.

The lid weighs 23.3 lbs. With the front to back of 19.5 in, I calculate 227 in-lbs which could easily be handled by two of these hinges if only they would close.

Does anyone have any suggestion for a different hinge type that may handle this? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

Walt

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does that support going when closing?

I can't tell by the link site but does that hardware keep the lid from "free" closing? I want to avoid hurt fingers.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome to the site... and you already know to ask questions. The trick is to use this "Intro..." section to introduce yourself and use the other subject areas to ask questions (some knowledgeable folks may not visit the "Intro..." and see your question). So try asking your question in a more active area...

But my 2 cents instructs you to cut into the front top rail of your bench seat to avoid the pinched fingers. Keep the last one inch on both sides of the rail at their present height but cut a long "U" between the end high points of the top rail. How deep? - That depends on your design...

·
Registered
58 Posts
The other day, needing a specialty hinge myself, I ran across a company online in which that's all they do is sell hinges.

http://www.hardwaresource.com/

They were pretty good at responding to my question via email on one of their hinges.

Perhaps you can send them your pdf and have one of their guys recommend something.

I'm sure there are other hinge companies out there too online.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts