Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
I said comparable, not identical. There are tasks with both that aren't really doable with the other, can't really put a turboplane on a bench grinder, cant hog off metal like you can with a stationary grinder with a handheld, they've both got their uses. My comment was just that 90% of those uses overlap, same as the table saw/RAS debate
Cats and dogs are comparable.

You need to list the 90% of things that can be done on either. Then list only the things that can be done be either.

Here are some things the angle grinder can do that the bench machine cannot.

* Polish the props on my boat.

* Cut concrete/bricks

* Hog out the contours on a chair bottom.

* Clean rust on a flat surface.

That is just a start.

George

·
Registered
26,375 Posts
I don't see how you can compare either or. Both the bench grinder and the angle grinder have their own purpose which for a particular application one will be better than the other. Both machines you could put an abrasive wheel on but I wouldn't try to strip the paint off of a car with a bench grinder. Likewise if I were sharpening a jointer knife I wouldn't try to sharpening it with an angle grinder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
two different tools. I use a bench grinder for shaping small items that i can safely hold in my hand. I use an angle grinder to cut steel, remove rust and paint, do rough sanding, and smooth/debur steel. angle grinder is more useful as you match the accessories to the job. cutting disc to cut, grinding disc to grind, .... you bring the grinder to the work. variable speed is a nice option.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
There are special burrs for grinding aluminum...

http://www.carbidebur.com/nfburs/nfall.htm

I've ground a lot of aluminum out of two stroke cylinders in my day, those burrs make quick work of the areas that need to be radically reshaped.

This is one of my boxes of hand pieces, and burrs...

I figured they did, but the ones I have sure didn't do it very well, well they might have I wasn't there but he plugged up every burr doing what ever he was doing LOL

·
Registered
861 Posts
A word of caution: DO NOT grind aluminum with the bench grinder wheels (grey, white, green, or brown). They get quickly clogged up with aluminum dust and might explode! There have been many workshop accidents like this, resulting in serious injury or death.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Aluminum will clog the "pores" of just about anything that is used to change its surface. The finer the "pore" the more clogging problem.

George

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Aluminum will clog the "pores" of just about anything that is used to change its surface. The finer the "pore" the more clogging problem.

George

They make wheels that are specifically designed to grind aluminum, Norton Gemini wheels are one you can grind it all day and they never plug, not sure why they look just like a regular wheel but they won't plug

21 - 28 of 28 Posts