Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys yesterday I did a very stupid thing, I was building my clamping table and messed up big time. I drilled all my holes 1 inch in diameter and 8 inches apart how I have 30 holes that look just great. To bad all my bench dogs are 3/4" in size just another example of me not thinking and drawing up a plan before I started. Looks like I'm going to have to make some shop made hold down dogs.:bangin:

Bruce.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hmm...that's almost as good as building inset doors too small for the face frame openings on a pair of cabinets. Can't imagine who'd be dumb enough to do that.:yes:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Have you thought about sleeving the holes? Might look pretty sharp if you could buy a brass tube that was 3/4" id with a 1" od. Cut it to lenght for each hole and glue it in. I don't know if this would cause any damage to the dogs. Or maybe a contrasting hard wood? Might drill the holes a little bigger leaving a step on the bottom and drop in the wooden sleeves. Isn't this the art of woodwork, making your screwups look like it was ment to be?

Mike

·
Registered
801 Posts
OUCH...... 30 pcs of 1" OD brass would be $$$$$ it's 2.60 + per inch. the tube was too big of an ID........

It wold look nice though..... what about some Steel or Aluminum inserts?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are some things I will look into or maybe just put them on the dogs.

Bruce.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hi Bruce

If you can find some pvc pipe, of the correct size, you could create some sleeves with that. It is cheap, and easily replaced when it gets worn.

Gerry

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bruce

If you can find some pvc pipe, of the correct size, you could create some sleeves with that. It is cheap, and easily replaced when it gets worn.

Gerry
Gerry.

I did not think of that I have some pvc will give it a try thanks.

Bruce.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I just use wooden dowels anyway. They work fine. I'm pretty sure 3/4" pvc is 1" od. Maybe just plug them up with 1" dowel and start over. I think that would look better than the PVC.

·
Registered
801 Posts
sch 40 Pvc and Steel
3/4" 1.050 od .81 id
1" 1.315 od 1.033 id

A heavier walled pipe ie Sched 80,120 or 160 will have the same OD and a smaller ID

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I just use wooden dowels anyway. They work fine. I'm pretty sure 3/4" pvc is 1" od. Maybe just plug them up with 1" dowel and start over. I think that would look better than the PVC.
I agree that wood would have a better look, but the pvc would be easier to replace. If I was going to use wood, I would probably use something like black walnut, to give a nice contrast, and then tell everybody it was a design feature.:laughing: :laughing:

Gerry

That way I could make everbody think I was clever, and imaginitive, instead of being a screwup.

Gerry

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did you end up doing?

I just put a 1'' dowel in the hole and made a new hole, however I will only do this as I need to. I also made some bench stops with 1'' dowels and they work well for me.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I looked at woodcraft, they have 1" hold fast's. I love those things. I use my holes the most using the hold fast. they are under ten bucks. I have 2.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at woodcraft, they have 1" hold fast's. I love those things. I use my holes the most using the hold fast. they are under ten bucks. I have 2.
Thanks for the info on the 1'' hold fast .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts