Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try not to buy tools before I need them. It doesn't always work that way though... a sale will pop up and I find I can't afford not to buy it. Anyway, I do actually need a belt sander and I'm wondering what you guys use and why you like or dislike them. I'm looking for a 3" and I'd like to spend less than $200. The last time I used one was 25 years ago in high school wood shop.
TIA

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi CC,

I have and would thoroughly recommend the Makita DB9924 Belt sander. Built tough, sands for hours at a stretch no problem. Will take a 4" belt of you want and is easy on the operator.
Mine cost A$480 couple years ago, so should be around your US$200 maybe a little more but one helluva sander.

Regards,

Orson

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a PC belt sander for 30 years before it finally was not worth repairing. Bought a new one just like the old one. It is a bear and will sand forever. I would recommend the professional models not from the big box stores. My first one was oil cooled. The replacement is not but still a strong machine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to HD to see what they had. The two that I looked at were the PC 352VS ($169)and Ridgid ($159). The PC seemed very unbalanced, weighted toward the drive side. Is that something that I should be concerned with? The Ridgid had much better balance and a more robust belt tensioner. The dust bag and connection seemed real cheap. The search continues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like I can pick up the 4" Bosch 1276DVS on ebay for less than $200. Any thoughts on this model?
Thanks

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
It's Bosch .... it's good. My signature says don't buy the brand but like the exception to every rule, Bosch just does not make junk.

A 4" belt sander will flat remove some stock too. Go to Amazon and type in the model number and see if there are any user reviews. Those will give you the straight scoop.

·
Registered
231 Posts
A great source for price comparing also is http://www.toolseeker.com

They will list the cheapest place selling the tool you want and even keep up to date on discounts being offered to include the codes to get the discount.

I have the Porter Cable 4" and it rocks!

I would be hesitant to buy my tools off of Ebay "WHITHOUT" being able to actually inpsect them. I have driven a few miles to look at some stuff on Ebay and in most cases its fine but a had a couple times where I was very pleased I drove the 60 miles. It kept the money in my pocket and my blood pressure down.:censored: Some people just have no decency and make an effort to circumvent the system to present themselves as excellant sellers.

Vermont Lumber Liquidators comes to mind. That guy ripped off lots of folks and then filed bankrupcy, yet his profile reflected nothing but awesome reviews......................from several of his family members that were in the scam with him.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all,
Actually, I decided against the belt sander for the time being. I instead picked up a ROS. Using 60 grit paper I was able to knock down the high spots in my project in short enough time. The one I chose was the PC 343k. It got great reviews from the folks on Amazon.com. It's got pretty good dust management using 8 holes and so far I'm pleased with it. The only thing is that dust bin is a little small, but better small than in the way.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Yep the newer ROS will remove alot more stock than they used to. I always reach for a ROS first before I opt for a belt sander. If you ever do get a belt sander let us know what you get and how you like it.
Can't get enough user reviews ya know.

·
Pianoman
708 Posts
I also use a ros with a hard flat pad. There`s a place for a belt sander though. I have a Bosch 4x24" and like the low center of gravity... the 4" is easer to controll than a 3" in my opinion. I mainly use the belt sander for floor prep. Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts