Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been woodworking for almost a year now, mainly working on shop stuff. I'm very interested to get into woodturning and am planning on a Jet mini lathe. I plan on turning pens to begin with and then quickly move to bowls. I'm set on getting the lathe and I know I need a grinder to sharpen, plus I know what I need for turning the pens, but I am not sure about basic tools. What gouges, scrapers, etc. should I be looking for to start with. I searched for another posting, but didn't find one. I know where to look for decent tools, but I don't know what type I should buy to begin with. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board

Tools are all down to personal choice. Some prefer Bowl gouges for working with Bowls while others prefer to use a scraper. Its whatever one feels better for you and how you use it.

The common starter sets consist of a bowl gouge, Round Scraper, Skew chisel and a parting chisel.

After this its whatever you can find or make yourself.

Simply converting other old tools is a common occurence. I currently use an old plane blade ground to the same angle as a scraper when I am finishing the outside of bowls. I have an old 1/4" chisel ground like a scraper for getting into awkward spots. I have also ground an old file with a hook for cutting captive rings. The list goes on and on and on.

I would look at the starter sets and take it from there.

What side of the pond are you on Europe or USA as this will dictate tools etc

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I would strongly suggest findind a club in your area if possible. You can learn more about the tools very quickly with someone elses help. Join the American Association of Woodturners. you get a subscription to American Woodturner and even more useful is the AAW directory. This allows you to easily find a club or individual near you.
As far as tools for spindle work I start with a rough out gouge, then spindle gouge and parting tool. I also like the skew.
For bowls a bowl gouge and round nose scraper. Get the thickest round nose scraper you can find, the bowl gouge can be 3/8 1/2 or 5/8. I like a 3/8.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts