Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
GDavid
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am retired and am setting up a woodworking shop. Planers, Jointers, Band/Table saws, etc vary from a few hundred to thousands of dollars each. To set up a good woodworking hobby shop, what size planer, Jointer, Band saw do I need? Projects will include shelving, kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanity cabinets, bed headboards. I am prepared to pay around $2500 total for these three, but don't know enough about my needs to make an informed decision. Jointer, 5,6 or 8". Planer 10, 12, 13" and what kind of blade configuration? Thank you for your assistance with this. dave

·
Hungry like a Hippo
348 Posts
I would start with basics. Do you have a table saw? What about basic hand tools (planes, screwdrivers, drills, chisels etc)? The little things like that add up pretty quickly.

There are multiple books on setting up shop - I've picked a couple up used on Amazon for a few dollars a piece. The information and quality ranges a bit but if you get a few you will have a good idea what you need and where to start.

·
Registered
652 Posts
If i were to start all over again, id put the most into the TS, typically your most used machine. i wouldnt go below a 12-13" planer, and id get a good router setup, if nothing else until funds are more available a good router and table can double as a jointer. IMO the best bandsaw would be to go ahead and start with a nice 14" machine that you can upgrade with a riser kit as your skills increase.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
You can get a band saw, table saw, jointer, planer and more on that budget....

A quick perusal of my local Craigslist is showing no less than 10 table saws, from Emmerson built Craftsmans to a near mint condition loaded Ryobi BT3100 for $250.00 to $300.00. I personally went with a BT3100. It IS a bit of an odd saw due to no factory miter slots, instead it uses a sliding miter table, but once you get used to it, the positive features, at least for me, far outweigh the negative...

14" band saws typically go in the neighborhood of $200.00 to $500.00. I know a wide range, but a wide range of possibilities. If you don't plan on doing any resawing, you can pick up a nice Craftsman 12" band saw for $100.00 nearly any day on CL...

Jointers are a bit less common used here, but they do come up from time to time. There was a nice restorable Crescent 8" recently for $275.00. Wish I had the $$ for it, I would have made the room...

Workable planers run the gamut of prices... I personally have a Ryobi AP1301, not the best planer, but certainly functional, reliable, and affordable. I think they are presently selling for $239.00 new.... If you can wait, and watch CL look for a DeWalt DW735... Very nice machine, but plenty spendy new....

A couple of very important things you didn't mention that you may want in your shop...

#1. Dust collector. IF you can find one used, grab something like a Delta 50-760. If you can't grab a Harbor Freight 2HP DC and throw a 1 micron bag from Highland Woodworking on it... Dust collection is a VERY in depth subject, but it is very important health / safety wise.... Worth looking into...

#2. Drill Press. Floor models with larger motors, and longer quill travel are often far more useful than small bench tops with weaker motors, shorter quill travel, and frequently fewer speed selections.

#3. Sander. I use my oscillating spindle / belt sander on almost every project. Money well spent.

#4. hand held power, and just plain hand tools.... You will likely need tools like a drill, jig saw, sanders, circular saw, etc.... If you do a LOT of cabinets, you may (or may not) want a biscuit joiner, or dowel jig or... the list goes on and on and on...

A couple of things a lot of guys forget to include in their shops that I always suggest...

First Aid Kit.
Fire Extinguisher...

Be safe, and enjoy making sawdust!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts