Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have really only been going at this for two years. Spent 9 in the military and was wounded and retired. somehow i got into woodworking and now I have the opportunity to open my own business. anyone with experience having their own business, would you please offer any advise. Please check out my projects and tear em down by flaw, I have thick skin and I need to relearn a thing or two. Im putting the glass in today, then I will work on the trim of the lid. Im having a hard time with very accurate miters. I do all of mine on my table saw, but wasnt sure if that is the best way? Thank you

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't see any pics you may have, but I don't think you can post a pic till you have made several post. You are on a good woodworking site though!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Agree with you on the miters, they should be more invisible. It may be worth your time to build a miter sled.
I'm guessing this is a test piece as you've intermixed highly figured with straight grain and knots. To my eye, those things make a visibly busy piece. JMTCW.....

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
While the ones I make are a little smaller, I use lexan instead of glass....no particular reason .....

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Good miters are accomplished by two things. Exact lengths and accurate 45 degree cuts.

If you are making them at a table saw, a good miter gauge or sled is needed. If you are using a "chop" saw, make sure it is making accurate angles.

Making sure all the sides are even is also extremely important. Always use a stop block when making the cuts. The miter may seem like the simpliest of joints, but getting one to really mate up and look good is a art form.

Otherwise, the two pieces I could see in your albums looked nice.

Welcome home brother. If the VA gives you any static I have a couple of links where you can get straight info from other vets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the welcomes and especially for the advice and insight. I know that I have many areas of improvement and very much appreciate an honest assessment/critique. My next project will be made using my newly commisioned miter sled and "smalls stop block" jig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts