Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of my first projects and I was curious how to add keys to a 45 degree mitered corner. I understand for 90 degree corners you simply construct a jig and run it over the table saw but for 45 degree should I just build another jig or is there an easier way?

Thanks!

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
This is one of my first projects and I was curious how to add keys to a 45 degree mitered corner. I understand for 90 degree corners you simply construct a jig and run it over the table saw but for 45 degree should I just build another jig or is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Jigs are one way on the TS, they can be done with a router, similar to doing box joints.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like the jig method myself.
And with oversized holes to fasten the cleats you can fine
tune it untill perfect.

Mine's a "quick & dirty" one.
Someday I'll make a new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes I'm sorry I meant Splines!! Mitered corners with splines. Basically I am trying to construct a box in the shape of a triangle that will fit in a corner above my desk. I wanted to give it some style by adding splines to the mitered corners and to add strength. But I think it will actually be better to inlay the front for style and forget about the splines. Who knows!:surrender:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts