Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am preparing to begin utilizing CAD in my small finish carpentry/cabinetry business. Customers are requesting digital drawings more and more often. Can you recommend programs that will be most useful for a beginner CAD user to assist with kitchen/bath, built ins, etc and also will provide accuracy in regard to measurements? Looking for something with a reasonable learning curve that will produce esthetically pleasing 3d drawings but also accurate cut lists, etc.

Thank you!

·
Registered
428 Posts
There are lots of options available, both free and fee based. Sketchup is popular. Again, both free and fee. What you choose may depend on what your budget is and how much time you have to spend on learning. I think that there are some CAD programs that are specialized for cabinetry work. One of these may serve your purpose. The capacity of your computer and operating system may also be a factor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, I've used Delta CAD for many years. At first for free and then I spent the money. It doesn't do 3D which is fine with me. It hasn't failed me and I'm always learning more of what it can do. I use it often, just finished the kitchen cabinets, working on a TV table now.... dozens of projects. It's something to consider.

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,673 Posts
not anything to do with the CAD systems:
but I have to ask - are you giving these drawings to your potential clients for free ?
or - any kind of contract to accompany the drawings to cover your time involved to produce them ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not anything to do with the CAD systems:
but I have to ask - are you giving these drawings to your potential clients for free ?
or - any kind of contract to accompany the drawings to cover your time involved to produce them ?
I have only done drawings in the past for clients that are already contracted. I would prefer not to offer clients free drawings. How have you handled that aspect?

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,673 Posts
I had a commercial sign business.
of course, you can't describe to a potential customer how their sign will look with just a doodle on a napkin.
I had a clause in the contract that there was a deposit completely separate from the sign contract that stated any and all artwork was my property unless purchased separately and was Copyrighted to prevent them from "shopping around".
when the job was completed and paid in full, the artwork deposit was refunded UNLESS they wanted to purchase it.
time is money - designing on a computer is time = charge accordingly.
there are several very successful businessmen here on this forum that have either owned their own company or retired from it.
contracts are all different - depends on which lawyer you hire to draft it up for you. (which is worth the investment).
I did signs for a lawyer - so I had the benefit of limited free counsel.
all the best to you !!!

Edit: on our sister forum, Router Forums, there is a gentleman there that has written many in depth articles on CAD/CAM computer programs used to enhance the small business shops.
it would be worth your trip to check it out. search for Desert Rat Tom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts