Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a good magazine to get, I am just starting to get into woodworking. I'm going to be getting a shop smith after the new year. What would folks recommend that isn't a waste of time. Or isn't a magazine the way to go.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Here is a recent thread talking about several different magazines. I think you'll find a lot of information in the thread helpful. There have been several other threads as well that you should be able to find using the search function.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/thinking-about-subscribing-shop-notes-40099/

BTW: Welcome to the site! When you get a little time head over to the Introduction Section and tell us a little bit about yourself.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
joedad3 said:
Whats a good magazine to get, I am just starting to get into woodworking. I'm going to be getting a shop smith after the new year. What would folks recommend that isn't a waste of time. Or isn't a magazine the way to go.
Your off to a great start. I learned a lot from Fine Woodworking. ShopNotes is a keeper too. Pick up Woodsmith if it contains something you want to build. They use sound methods and won't steer you wrong. There are others too but for almost all woodworking there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Set your standards high and pursue what you want not what you know how to build. I read a lot and recommend it as woodworking is a study and has to be learned in your mind as well as your hands.

Unless you absolutely can't, don't buy cheap tools.

Al B Thayer

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I subscribe to Shop Notes and I bought their DVD of all past issues. Easily searchable. Many plans to build shop stuff - jigs, benches, storage, you name it.
Good luck. Woodworking can be addicting. I can relate woodworking to photography. There is always a new piece of equipment that you lust for. Been there, done that many times.
Mike

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
MT Stringer said:
I subscribe to Shop Notes and I bought their DVD of all past issues. Easily searchable. Many plans to build shop stuff - jigs, benches, storage, you name it.
Good luck. Woodworking can be addicting. I can relate woodworking to photography. There is always a new piece of equipment that you lust for. Been there, done that many times.
Mike
Two expensive crafts. How do you get by? :)

Al

·
Registered
618 Posts
I subscribe to Wood, Woodsmith, Woodcraft, and Shopnotes.

Woodcraft I wouldn't waste your time with. The other 3 are good.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Two expensive crafts. How do you get by? :)

Al

Al, I retired from high school sports photography and sold most of the expensive equipment. I sure hated to part with the big white lens (300 f/2.8) but $3500 in my pocket helped me get over it. :) I also sold off several other lenses, a camera body, studio strobes, etc. All of that money and several thousand more are now invested in my woodworking equipment. :icon_smile:

Heck, woodworking tools are cheap compared to the really good photography equipment.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I second MT's quote about woodworking tools being cheaper than photography, as a hobby, especially now that digital cameras have really come down in price. Relatively speaking. I guess if you went out and bought the highest end of all the equipment in woodworking, you could rack up some costs, but you could put together a decent starter shop like mine, for around $2000 buying used and some new equipment. Now to replace the camera gear I carry every day for work, we are looking at 12-15K and that is just what is in my bag, not counting big shared pool lenses, studio stuff or computers. The 400 mm lens we have cost about $9000 10 years ago.

So you can get into woodworking relatively cheap, but what you can't get cheap is the material. I have scored some good wood deals the last couple of years, but it ain't cheap. At least in the photo hobby, they got rid of the biggest repeating cost and that is film and processing.

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
I would buy the archives for the major mags. That would put years and years of woodworking info and plans at your fingertips, immediately. Then, at the end of each year, just buy that years new archives. The major pubs run sales, from time to time, and you could capitalize on those. Just my opinion...

Paul

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
mobilepaul said:
I would buy the archives for the major mags. That would put years and years of woodworking info and plans at your fingertips, immediately. Then, at the end of each year, just buy that years new archives. The major pubs run sales, from time to time, and you could capitalize on those. Just my opinion...

Paul
I second that. I have Fine Woodworking on DVD. Searching is nice.

Al

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I went to shop notes and they offered a free mag, I grabbed and hey have a deal on a 2 yr subscription. My interests are pepper mills and bowls and possible clocks. To begin with and see where it all takes me. Living room tables kids beds as they get older and bigger. That sort of stuff. Looking forward to learning lots more here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bill White said:
Don't wanna start a war here, but study LONG and HARD before ya buy a Shop Smith. Bill
. Hi bill, Thanks for the wisdom, my father has a shopsmith he doesn't use anymore. I'm going to use it to get a taste of how this whole hobby unfolds. Rather than invest thousands then have it situations. The other deal is I'm contending with a very small shop space and this tool allows me to do more and need less space. The key tool will be a lathe which the shopsmith has and it does a great job.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
have you thought about where you are going to get wood, wood is less money if you buy it in the ruff and plain it down, and not buy box store wood, a planer and joiner and a good table saw , would be the way i would go, you talk about bowls , than a leath is needed , i kinda make's a difference on what you are going to make in the shop, but the above item's is what i would say you need if you are serious about this hobby, which can turn into a busisness also, some like the shopsmith but not me , i have seen them , buy what you want . i thank to much switching around to do things, my 2 cents

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
trc65 said:
Here is a recent thread talking about several different magazines. I think you'll find a lot of information in the thread helpful. There have been several other threads as well that you should be able to find using the search function. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/thinking-about-subscribing-shop-notes-40099/ BTW: Welcome to the site! When you get a little time head over to the Introduction Section and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Where is the introduction area your mentioning.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The biggest help for me was (and still is) YouTube. There are some great videos and channels you can subscribe to that will show you just about everything you need as you're getting started.

·
Registered
33 Posts
iTunes +
Woodworking Online
Woodworking with The Wood Whisperer

YouTube +
JordsWoodShop Podcast
Paul Sellers
William Ng
Garage Woodworks
Steve Ramsey
Laney Shaughnessy

I got the free issue of Shop Notes and decided I'll just stick with Woodsmith for now.

I think the most important thing is to NOT go tool crazy.

·
Banned
4 Posts
I've subscribed to woodsmith since they first came out (dating myself) . Got tired of all the advertisement in the others. They have binders they sell which help you organize . And a updated yearly alpha list of the projects. Over the years I've found many good projects to build. Naturally not every issue is to your liking but they have tips on woodworking which are helpful also.
And in the back a list of where you can buy the hardware sometimes from them, which makes the project roll along.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts