Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have watched as some very talented people showed us that they are not afraid to take on and risk it all. So we should maybe follow in their steps with some sort of challenge to ourselves to boost our skill level know matter where it is rookie, intermediate, skilled, advanced you get the idea. So what would be something that collectively would be could agree to be the next challenge and how long would be allowed to complete the build. This would be my first build am interested, what are your thoughts, has this been done in the past or would this be something new.

Jerry

·
where's my table saw?
27,863 Posts
it's not a bad idea

Unless you have a sponsor or prize, it may not garner much
support...I donno? The only way is to try it!

Here's an idea, rather than "fits in a box" hows about "made from one piece of wood" ...or "made with only one power/hand tool" ...or both limitations.
The more tools used, the less points or stature your project gets for instance. Like ... I used one piece of wood and 3 powertools, so that's a category or class 3 entry.
There are other limitations you can place on the entries, but size is a good one as in the Baileigh Callenge.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Everyone has different methods and different abilities, so trying to come up with a challenge that would be a just for fun kind of thing would be pretty difficult.

I suggest that some of you guys who don't write build threads to share with us start doing that and showing us not just the finished piece, but the steps along the way to make it. I'm of the opinion that no matter how good you think you are, or how bad, everyone can benefit from watching as the methods are shared.

I'm reminded of a series of threads posted by several of us a couple of years ago where we all built the same items using our own personal favorite methods and within the limitations of our shops and abilities. Those who don't remember, search for the threads with ALTERNATIVE METHOD in the title. Those were a lot of fun and showed some really great talent at all levels among us.

Perhaps that way we could encourage some of those who don't do build threads to get involved more and share with us.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Projects

Might be the way to go. I am very impressed not only with the project but in the manor in which you describe what you are making, my typing skills would take longer complete than the build itself, but telling how I made it definiably has merit .

Jerry

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
wood shavings said:
Might be the way to go. I am very impressed not only with the project but in the manor in which you describe what you are making, my typing skills would take longer complete than the build itself, but telling how I made it definiably has merit .

Jerry
Jerry
I support your effort and want to encourage you to press on. We just had a swap too that had a pretty good turn out.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
options

Here are my thoughts it needs to have defined rules time frame how big or small and a time frame both in how long the build should take and how long people have to get on board. This is an idea that I have Two board feet of lumber to be use to build a child's toy simple movable parts no smaller than X size set in the rules Comments

Jerry

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Well Jerry,
I like the way your thinking. But in this day and age making a child's toy for anyone but your own can be problematic. Also you may limit the amount of people interested. I've made wooden toys for my grandkids but not anyone else's. Okay one was a paddle. :)

Al

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
try again

Something for all ages
Something for the seasons
Something religious
Something for the kitchen
Something for the garden
Something for a friend
Something for outdoors
Something for a room in the house enter one

More option are welcome

Jerry

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I've been following along here and I'm liking some of the ideas. My suggestion, to get people involved, is to also make it a swap. I'd like to do a box swap, but I don't know when I'll have time for at least a few weeks out. But something like a mid sized box, 6-12" wide, 9-18" long, 1-4(or6)" deep. With a lid. Material, joinery, embellishments, linings, hardware, etc up to builder. What do y'all think.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
sawdustfactory said:
I've been following along here and I'm liking some of the ideas. My suggestion, to get people involved, is to also make it a swap. I'd like to do a box swap, but I don't know when I'll have time for at least a few weeks out. But something like a mid sized box, 6-12" wide, 9-18" long, 1-4(or6)" deep. With a lid. Material, joinery, embellishments, linings, hardware, etc up to builder. What do y'all think.
I'm going to try to participate regardless of what comes up. Box of some kind would be good.

Al

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I really like your idea of a swap. I missed out on the mallet(s), but I'm really enjoying the marking gauge swap. I'm in kind of the same time frame as you though, I wouldn't have time to start anything for several weeks.

+1 on the box idea - many variations on construction that would highlight different techniques. Also would be something that people with any skill level/tool preference could participate.

Another plus for making boxes is that everyone can find a use for one, if only to sit on a table as a decoration.

The size range suggested is good. Would probably want to keep it small enough to ship cheaply.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Starting to like the box idea so should we come up with a max and min. size box. Mostly because of max. shipping cost, want people to participle not wanting to break the bank on getting the box half way across the country / world. Utility for on the coffee table or up to the person crafting it to decide. What was the format for the mallet swap and tool gauge swap and was it what worked or should changes be made.

Jerry

·
Registered
885 Posts
Al B Thayer said:
Well Jerry,
I like the way your thinking. But in this day and age making a child's toy for anyone but your own can be problematic. Also you may limit the amount of people interested. I've made wooden toys for my grandkids but not anyone else's. Okay one was a paddle. :)

Al

he didn't say we had to swap the toys. We could just make them for ourselves.

·
Registered
885 Posts
wood shavings said:
Starting to like the box idea so should we come up with a max and min. size box. Mostly because of max. shipping cost, want people to participle not wanting to break the bank on getting the box half way across the country / world. Utility for on the coffee table or up to the person crafting it to decide. What was the format for the mallet swap and tool gauge swap and was it what worked or should changes be made.

Jerry
If you decide to do this go with using one of the standard boxes from USPS that way all the shipping will be the same price regardless of the weight

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Usps

True on the box weight so do we limit the box size and if so what size small is really small and quite flat medium is also rather flat it's the large that gets to be five by twelve by twelve.

Jerry

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Plane

Seeing your avatar think that is what it's called. What would happen with the suggestion of a plane or is that getting limiting as to the number of people that would participate.

Jerry

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Plane

I think that for those that want to do a swap that could be done cost could be kept down. For those that want to show off there skills and that isn't to say that those in the swap couldn't as well ( show off their skills ) For those that maybe want to make a project for themselves or someone close too them could go ahead and do it, it would then be in a different category.

Getting complicated

Jerry

1 - 20 of 46 Posts