Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night was my buddy's birthday, so I threw together this little dude. Made from recycled wine crates, finished with spray poly (satin), and features three of my home brewed Magic Hat #9 clones that he loves.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
That's pretty slick. Kinda funny, because just the other day I was thinking about a custom wood beer cooler lined with foam insulation and a plastic basin. Nice job! :thumbsup:

The Magic Hat is a good choice too! (how close did you get?)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's pretty slick. Kinda funny, because just the other day I was thinking about a custom wood beer cooler lined with foam insulation and a plastic basin. Nice job! :thumbsup:

The Magic Hat is a good choice too! (how close did you get?)
Yeah, I keep threatening to make one for my deck with a cooler inside, but I haven't ever executed it.

Honestly, these guys do a helluva job in their recipes. So far I've made Newcastle, Sierra Nevada, Magic Hat, Fat Tire, Sunshine Wheat and Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout and they've all been darn near exact replicas.

Most of the beers I've brewed peak around the 5 week mark and I typically buy one or two of the "real" beers and do a side by side comparison and I've been blown away by how accurate they are.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Slick beer tote there! It makes an awesome gift too.

I didn't know you were into home brewing. I was a home brewer for about 3-4 years. Several years after my equipment (and I had a nice setup) was no longer being used (my brewing friends moved away) I ended up trading the equipment for the Jet jointer I now have and love.

Since then, the guy I traded it to (extended family) has been making great use of it and brewing some exceptionally fine batches, of which I get to partake from time to time. It was a win-win. And the equipment (brewing equipment and jointer) didn't have to continue being unused.

I'm half tempted to steal your idea and make one to bring him next time I go see him. Have it stocked, of course, with one of his favorite IPAs. "Trade you some IPAs for a mug of your latest home brew!" That'll be my line.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slick beer tote there! It makes an awesome gift too.

I didn't know you were into home brewing. I was a home brewer for about 3-4 years. Several years after my equipment (and I had a nice setup) was no longer being used (my brewing friends moved away) I ended up trading the equipment for the Jet jointer I now have and love.

Since then, the guy I traded it to (extended family) has been making great use of it and brewing some exceptionally fine batches, of which I get to partake from time to time. It was a win-win. And the equipment (brewing equipment and jointer) didn't have to continue being unused.

I'm half tempted to steal your idea and make one to bring him next time I go see him. Have it stocked, of course, with one of his favorite IPAs. "Trade you some IPAs for a mug of your latest home brew!" That'll be my line.
Yeah, that's my latest hobby, ha. I built the kegerator and while I was at the local home brew store picking up materials it hit me like a ton of bricks... why am I not making my own beer!?!?

So far it's just extract mix kits with the grains you steep for 30 minutes dump the extract powder or liquid malt in and then the hops, boiling for an hour. It's great fun and damn good tasting!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice tote. Can't say I can stand the Magic Hat #9 though. Should have had you around to finish off that 6 my buddy and I drank 2 out of.
Ha, yeah, the apricot finish isn't for everyone. I happen to like it, but when this keg's empty, I'll be refilling it with Fat Tire and not MH9. It's time for a break from it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts