Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but Ive not a clue what the answer is..can anyone help?

the question is....

State the Standard of measure used to determine surface finish on timber dressed on mechanically fed woodworking machinery" ????

No Im not cheating..Im using my initiative ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
42? :icon_eek: can you elaborate on that Corndog?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Sorry...it's an obscure Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe reference.:huh:
You're new and I'm the resident smart a$$....not fair of me...I apologize.

Welcome aboard B.T.W.:thumbsup:

I don't get the machine fed part though....:blink:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:laughing: S'okay....I found the answer. Thank you for your help:glare: Im sure you tried your best;)

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
Probably thru US Forestry Dept, they are the ultimate Guru,s who decide this stuff,
Also I thought the secret to life was 69 NOT 42 :yes: Tho 42.5 will work in an emergency
LOL
Jack

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I told you the answer I would have to kill you:shifty:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you kingfisher...the answer that I found was in literature given to me by my tutor.

Its all to do with the pitch of the cutter marks (so Im led to believe)

Timber which is planed or moulded by cutters fixed in rotating cutter blocks is not perfectly flat, although the surface may feel smooth, it consists in fact of a series of ridges which form a wavefield. The distance between each cuttermark is the pitch and this should be between 1mm and 6mm, depending on the application...etc etc.

To calculate the pitch of the cuttermarks simply divide the length of the timber planed in a minute by the number of cutters cutting in a minute.....simple eh:blink:

well that's gonna be my answer....dunno what they are asking me this exam question for....in my flower arranging classes.:laughing:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no seriously..Im studying furniture restoration..;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Little late for that question but in the future, The National Hardwood Lumber Association, which I could hit with a rock from my house, is a great resource.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you PK....but don't worry I have many more questions to ask...unfortunately for you lot...I may become a regular :eek:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
PK if I had known that you could hit them with a rock, there were times I would have called you on the phone and requested that you take aim at the most expensive window. :yes:

Them suckers are some of the most iniffecient disseminators of information I have ever dealt with. I finally got what i was looking for but it took several phine calls and emails and nearly an act of congress.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts