Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I love me some wood!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its been a while since i have turned anything.. this was the last bowl i made about 6 months ago.... just been super busy with work and all to get some shop time that wasnt used to make money! So since i havnt been turning i figured id order a tool and get my **s back in gear..... my nova 2 chuck should be here friday !
my first chuck and im excited as :censored: gotta get busy on my lathe made christmas stuff! Any one have any tips for a new chuck user? let em fly!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
That bowl is awesome! Everytime I see a nice segmented piece I swear I'm gonna try one soon and something always gets in the way.

·
I love me some wood!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why thank you sir! go for it i say! i went big my first time i did a segmented piece and did a vase that was like 22 inches tall so now when i do a small bowl or something it seems qwick and easy to me haha. but cant wait to turn my next one on the new chuck!

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's a beautiful bowl, very clean glue lines for your first one.

The versitility that a chuck adds to a lathe is enormous, I use my little nova midi chuck all the time, I rarely break out the spur drive any more. I've found that my biggest limitation is that I don't have large jaw sets for some of my bigger projects, but I'll get some eventually.

·
I love me some wood!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that bowl was probobly my 4th or 5th segmented project but it did turn out super clean as far as lines and contrast go . up to now i have turned everything on a plate with a waste block glued on , so its going to be like heaven with a chuck and a set of cole jaws... gonna be like learning how to turn all over again! i love that feeling when i first set up my lathe and grabbed a tool and started teaching my self what the hell to do that thing cant get here soon enough, i just have to get to wood craft and get the adapter collar i need..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts