Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been almost handed a ton (about 35) pieces of 4/4 beech that range in width 6-8 inches. They are about 6 feet in length. I'm trying to figure out how to utilize them best. I have been wanting to start a "mini roubo" bench. Has anyone used beech for a workbench top?

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts

My work bench is made out of beech works just fine easy to work with hard enough to work as a top. Benches are a work of art in their own right, but first and foremost they are an area to accomplish a task from start to finish. The first ding or scratch is the hardest to look at the next not so much and then you realize that each of these scratches has a story to tell.

Jerry

·
7,222 Posts
Sounds good to me. I have not used beech for a bench top, since I did not have any stock.

Beech was used for the sole of wooden / transitional planes for many decades. It is still used for tool handles.

It is a reasonably dense wood. I love turning beech.

If I had a lot of stock, as you have, I would be happy to make this into work surface tops.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Beech is a lot like Birch except it is not quite as stable. As it dries it tends to move around a bit. European benches are made with beech but is a European species.

That said, most find American Beech to work just fine for a bench. Just be sure it is fully and consistently dried and acclimated to the shop..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did a big job 2 years ago and the customer had bought 5 counter-tops from Ikea. He wanted them installed throughout a laundry area, mostly in-between tall wardrobe cabinets and one on an island. They're made from Beech, and formed like butcher-blocks. They came in 6' & 8' lengths, 25" and 39" widths - 1 1/2" thick.

Well, the island wasn't even 4' long and the other four areas he wanted them placed were just over 4'.

This left a lot of waste, which I proceeded to bring home to my humble home shop and use for rolling workstations for my bench-top drill press, disc/belt sander, thickness planer, cutting boards and with the 39" piece I made an out-feed/assembly table that rolls up next to my table saw.

This stuff has held-up really well over the last 2 years, it's very stable and straight. It's nice and hard too.

I wouldn't hesitate using it for any bench project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.