Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm new here and i've already posted a picture of this in the introductions section but i thought i should give it a thread here.

So here is my recent AS Product Design:Resistant Materials project.. finished! Been working on it since last summer (that includes copious amounts of project work, research, influences, designing, more research, developign designs, more research and then some more research). Started building i think a few weeks ago but i've had to cram cram cram in the last few days to get my deadline. So, here it is! The light is intended to be used as a reading light but the bulb i have in is a bit dim so it doesn't work that well. The patterned top is supposed to be influenced by Art Nouveau floral patterns. Originally it was going to have parts of a picture by Alphonso Mucha but i had alot of difficulty with that so went for this green floral pattern.

Would really appreciate any feedback you have, this has been one of those projects where EVERYTHING goes wrong! Hope i get a good grade!

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can only be graded by an expert, I am not one, just a hobbiest. But you definitely have a very unique idea, simple lines, easy on the eyes and something I would never think of.

What did you use on the lighted section for the frame, and the light panels?

I have been playing at this for years and some projects just never do what they are told. :) :)

Good job!
John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The light section was made with simply old scrap bits of wood to make a frame, then pieces of acyrlic with craft paper behind them and screwed to the frame.

My technology teacher was laughing at me when i said 'i don't like the metal screws, can't someone just invent see-through screws?'

·
Registered
168 Posts
this from the aspect of functional furniture. the bottom drawer does it go the whole length of the piece? and for the two drawers is there any type of tracking system to keep them from getting jammed when being opened or closed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mendez: Yes it goes all the way back, and no it doesn't have a track to keep it from getting stuck... only good oldfashioned candlewax run down the sides to help it slide!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mendez: Yes it goes all the way back, and no it doesn't have a track to keep it from getting stuck... only good oldfashioned candlewax run down the sides to help it slide!
I use wax a lot too. I think the over all feel of some pieces would be ruined if some sort of newer mechanical glides, or what not were used.

It is hard to see, but there is a groove down the side of the drawer with a small strip of oak inside the opening for the drawers to slide on. Homemade glides with wax.

Works fine doesn't get stuck either.

Good job pinksalamander

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use wax a lot too. I think the over all feel of some pieces would be ruined if some sort of newer mechanical glides, or what not were used.

It is hard to see, but there is a groove down the side of the drawer with a small strip of oak inside the opening for the drawers to slide on. Homemade glides with wax.
I never said it had to be mechanical, from my experience just wax, and no wooden track like you epxlained has gotten stuck more times than i can remember. That is the reasoning behind my question

1 - 9 of 9 Posts