Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
first post and first couple of projects, I welcome any advise or criticism. Let me say I have very limited tools and experience, I have a table saw with no fence, belt sander, dremel and some miscellaneous tools. I put these together rather quickly and still have some work to do.

Bloodwood and birds eye maple
Wood

Wood

Lighting Light Heat Nightlight Lamp

East Indian rosewood and birch veneer
Lectern Podium Furniture Pulpit Wood

Lectern Pulpit Pedestal Wood Wood stain

·
where's my table saw?
29,623 Posts
Dude, no fence?

Please do not use your table saw "freehand" or without a fence! :thumbdown:
You need a fence to keep the work parallel to the blade at all times. If it's not, you may/will have a kickback. :thumbdown::thumbdown::censored:

If you've been lucky so far, great, but don't count on it long term. Post a photo of your saw and we can help with some ideas for shop made or store bought fences. It's not worth taking any chances, fingers and body parts are more expensive than fences. :yes:
You can't reverse the laws of physics, spinning blades, twisting work etc.

BTW nice lamps. :yes: Zombie Wacker, could work....:blink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the compliments.
Sorry I should have been more clear, there is a blade guard, I built a fence out of 3/4" plywood and clamped it down. I would like to keep all my fingers.:thumbsup:
The table saw is a Makita 2708. I can not seem to find a fence that will work. Does anybody know were I could order one?
thanks

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
How this are those side panels that allow the light through? Those are just plane cool!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not have a way to measure the thickness. The birch veneer my brother gave me, I would assume it is standard paper backed veneer thickness. The birds eye maple I cut 1/8" piece and used table mounted belt sander and took it down as thin as I could.
I tried a few kinds of wood and I could not get light to shine thru dark wood only light colored wood. I would like to try some kind of burl wood.
I have also been experimenting with bulbs, some make these run really hot (incandescent bulbs over 10 watts). The bulbs I have now (energy efficient) run cool and barley warm up the wood. I tried 3watt flicker bulb, it looked the best but not bright enough.
Electronics Technology Electronic device

Technology Electronic device Wood

Finger Hand Nail

Product Plastic

·
Registered
160 Posts
Love the lamps. Did you design them yourself or did you find plans on the net? If you found them could you tell me where? I have wanted to make something like that for a while.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Love the lamps. Did you design them yourself or did you find plans on the net? If you found them could you tell me where? I have wanted to make something like that for a while.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
Sorry no plans just an idea I came up with after I was trying to square up a block of birds eye maple (for a different project that didn't work out) After I was cleaning up and as I picked up the thin piece of maple it passed by my work light and just like that the bedside lamp was born:smile:
You can see from the pics the design is very simple. I would love to see somebody else make one that actually have some skills. I have been looking at a lot of your guy's projects, there are some beautiful things being made.
So your plans are your imagination:yes: I offer a friendly challenge for you to make one:thumbsup: I'm going to try to finish another one today, being that I am on vacation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm running out of wood this one is,
base and vertical pieces are flame birch
lamp shade birch veneer
horizontal framing and lid are pieces of old wood shims I had lying around. lol
Pedestal Grass Tree Wood Furniture

Pedestal Furniture Lectern Grass Pulpit

Pedestal Furniture Table Wood stain

Furniture Wood Wood stain Antique