Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on the furniture for our bedroom for five years now with not a whole lot to show for that amount of time. The nightstands were done in 2007 and the bed was completed in 2008 and I actually started this tall boy project almost two years ago but only got as far as cutting the cabinet sides and stretchers and then I ‘had’ to work on a string of other projects and I just never got back to it. So three weeks ago I jumped back into it and I was able to get it all completed and set up this weekend. I thought about doing a build thread but since I had already started I decided not to. Maybe next time.
The material is 4/4” hard maple and ¾” maple ply. The drawers are ½” Baltic birch with a 4/4 maple drawer front. I got the 16” auto close full extension drawer slides from Grizzly and they work great. I applied two coats of Minwax’s Sedona Red and Special Walnut in a 50/50 ratio. I spray finished it with 2 coats of vinyl sealer and then 4 coats of Cab Acrylic Lacquer in an MRE finish.
It was my wife’s idea to add the pull out coat hanger rails on each side and I must say I like the way they turned out – even if I did add them after the whole box was complete because I forgot to include them in the initial build :furious:. They are very subtle and are 7/8” square and extend about 7” before hitting the stop.
Overall size of the unit is 42” x 21” x 68”. The actual height was determined by the ability of my better half being able to see into the top drawer without having to be on her tip toes.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
That really looks good. I especially like the hangers on the ends.

Why do you call it a "tall boy dresser" vice a chest of drawers?

George

204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That really looks good. I especially like the hangers on the ends.

Why do you call it a "tall boy dresser" vice a chest of drawers?

George
George thank you for the comments. To your question: I have always associated tall boy or tallboy with a tall chest of drawers, maybe it's a local lingo thing. I looked at the dictionary definition and a tallboy is a chest of drawers on top of a chest or a chest of drawers on some kind of a stand – neither of which mine qualifies for.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I like it John. It looks like it's well built. I bet it looks good with the other furniture in the room.

I also noticed you are in overland Park, maybe we should get together and compair notes. It looks like I could learn a lot from you.

Randy

Reactions: The Everyman Show

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Wow, that came out great! It was well worth the wait. I really like the design. And the finish is just beautiful. That is a beautiful piece of furniture. You should be very proud.

204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like it John. It looks like it's well built. I bet it looks good with the other furniture in the room.

I also noticed you are in overland Park, maybe we should get together and compair notes. It looks like I could learn a lot from you.

Randy
Thank you all for the comments and kind words. This really is a labor of love, here is a couple of pictures of the bed and the nightstands I had made before joining this forum. The inspiration for the entire bedroom set came from the piece of wrought iron on the headboard, everything was then designed around that.
Randy I live down near the OP golf course at 127th and Quivira. I’m not sure I could teach you very much after all the stuff you’ve posted, especially your blanket boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Very nice...Especially nice use of matching wood grain in your drawers and panels.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Just as I expected. The bed and night stands look GREAT. Well done.

BTW I'm just south of 75th and I-35, maybe we should do breakfest sometime (my treat).

Randy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts