Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the 2nd bed I built for my daughter in the last 8 months. The last one was taken apart to move and then used as shelving and whatnot throughout the house we just bought. Anyway, heres a couple pics. 3/4 birch ply with poplar frames. A bunch of dados and some glue and staples hold it together. Its essentially 3 separate cases put together with a platform across for her mattress. Still need to add a couple of finishing touches and a rail so she doesn't fall out.

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think I don't really like the design but it is still a brilliant idea. You maximize the space and nice multi purpose shelves!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I like it a lot.

The only thing that bothers me is that there's no safety rail on it.

Maybe you can still add one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it a lot.

The only thing that bothers me is that there's no safety rail on it.

Maybe you can still add one.
Safety rail is getting added this weekend, which I mentioned in my first post. She is with family out of town so I'm in no rush. She has no idea that her whole room is getting changed up while she's gone.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Oops! Sorry

·
Registered
588 Posts
My grandson would be trying to parachute off of the bed if he had that. :laughing:

Nice use of space, :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Absolutely don't forget the railing, and do your best to make it so it won't come off. I still have two dents in my skull 50 years after trying to get my deaf brother's attention by hanging over the loose railing on the top bunk of the bunk beds we shared. It wasn't the fall to the floor so much as the sharp corners on assorted Tonka Trucks I had on the floor by the bed that led to two emergency room runs for scalp stitches. I survived unharmed after several intentional leaps off the top onto bean bag chairs and floor pillows though. My guess is that that old bunk set wouldn't meet current safety codes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's looks good and like the many open shelves which can be stored a lot of kids stuff of different sizes even baskets. Don't forget the rails for the bed including the stairs. It's quite high for a kid. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure your daughter loves it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The safety rail will be going on this weekend. She hasn't used or even seen the bed yet so it should be fun when she does. Looking forward to finishing it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts