Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I recently started building a platform bed. I have completed most of the bed, but I still need to make the base for the mattress. I need advice on doing this.

The mattress supplier has indicated that I need a solid base for a coil spring mattress. So I have want to put pine wood slats on and place a chipboard on top to give the solid base. I am not sure how many slats I should use and how for do they have to be spaced.

This is for a queen size bed and the slats will be across the width of the bed.

any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If by chipboard you mean particle board, I'd avoid it. Plywood would be stronger, and it will look a lot better. Either way, I'd think 4 slats would be good. You may also want to put feet on the slats to support the center.

If it's an inner spring mattress, won't it have box springs? I doubt they'd need the flat surface at all.

·
Registered
28,404 Posts
Hi guys

I recently started building a platform bed. I have completed most of the bed, but I still need to make the base for the mattress. I need advice on doing this.

The mattress supplier has indicated that I need a solid base for a coil spring mattress. So I have want to put pine wood slats on and place a chipboard on top to give the solid base. I am not sure how many slats I should use and how for do they have to be spaced.

This is for a queen size bed and the slats will be across the width of the bed.

any advice would be appreciated.
You might as well use rubber slats as to use pine. If it were me I would make the slats out of a hardwood like oak or maple. Even though the wood is stronger it is prone to sag over time and the slats need to be turned every time the mattress is turned. I finally put a center leg on the slats to aleave the problem. The framework on the box springs should support the mattress so three or four slats should be sufficient without covering it with any sheet stock.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions.

I would use 4/4 hardwood slats about 3" wide every 4" to 6" across the the 60" width.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Unless you're using a box spring you're going to need a lot more than 4 slats. I wouldn't use particle board but if that's what you want it should hold up for a couple of years unless you use the bed as a trampoline. With enough slats it would probably even be okay doing that. As for aesthetics, who cares, it will be covered by the mattress.

I'd put a center rail (and probably a center foot) for the slats no matter what wood you choose. I'd go with a reasonably cheap hardwood, whatever's easily obtained locally to you at a good price. With the ply/particleboard topper it won't need to be crazy strong, especially if you put the center rail. In fact, if you do the center rail and a ply (not particle) top board you could probably get away with pine 1x3s. Again, that wouldn't be my choice but you haven't mentioned your budget and it's not like it's ever going to be seen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I built a queen frame two years ago, used 2x8 slats (ripped in half) 12" OC and 3/4" plywood on top of that, slats are clear Southern Yellow Pine, went with 2x8 and ripped in half because Home depot's 2x4 and 2x6 were not nearly as good looking or straight grained. Haven't noticed any sagging or extra bounce with the bed in the past two years. YMMV and best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.