Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I had the hardest time removing a bearing. I managed to to remove a retaining ring with snap ring plier but well I had to forcefully damage that out. But when it came time for the bearing separator all that happen was the bearing exploded and what was left was the bearing race.
Tool Nickel Gas Metal Wood

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,573 Posts
It needs to be heated with a torch to expand it a bit. The shaft might need to be cooled as you do this so it doesnt expand with it. When putting the new bearing on often the shaft would be put in the freezer for a while to get the bearing in place with the least amount of stress to it.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
can that flange be removed? if so you could drift it down with a piece of pipe...

if you trust yourself, they are somewhat brittle and can be broken off. btdt with an outer race...

·
where's my table saw?
30,373 Posts
You will need a thin style bearing puller if the heat technique won't make it drop right off.
Like these you can rent one at an auto store like O'Reilly':
Product Tool Automotive lighting Gas Machine

s

·
Registered
131 Posts
Heat the bearing race with a propane or MAPP gas touch. Get it as hot as possible as fast as possible. If you make a red spot on the race that's OK in fact it won't hurt a thing. If you work fast, take a good cold chisel and hit that spot. Hopefully it will leave a mark on the race and that will in turn swell the race a bit loosening the fit.

TIP: If the outer race is stuck in a bore AND you have a welder, weld on the inside of the outer race where the balls run. Let cool and the race will fall right out. As the weld cools and shrinks it takes the race with it.

Ken

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
What tools do you have at your disposal? One option is grinding a flat on the bearing race almost thru to the shaft. This can be done in two places and the race will practically fall off the shaft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the bearing separator did not do a good job pressing. Its thread rod was skewing, so it was used as a stationary clamp while I hammered the race out.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Electric blue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts