Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install beadboard on the lower 1/3 of my gameroom walls. However, there are 4 room openings that lead to the kitchen, living room, and laundry room that do not have frames or doors. These openings also have bull-nose round corners. Traditionally, it would be easy to stop the beadboard on the edge of a door frame. However, I am unsure how to stop the edge of the beadboard on the openings without the leading edge of a frame to butt up against. What is the best method in doing so?

I am a first time home owner and this is my first home improvement project. A lot of terms I am new to so please bare with me :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
And this beadboard will have baseboard on the bottom and a chair rail on top? If so, I'd think a vertical piece of one-by of the same material standing just a bit proud of the baseboard and chair rail would look ok. Maybe it's edges and top slightly rounded-over. Maybe install that vertical end-stop just a little shy of the bullnose corners.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I'd just finish off the last stile with a chamfer but a round over would work equally well :smile:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Do the roundover on the beadboard as suggested, then run the base board and chair rail a 1/4" past the bead board and do a return on them, stopping shy of the bullnose.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Here's a picture of a "return" - this one is under a windowsill, but it's the same idea for stopping any trim on a flat surface.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
And this beadboard will have baseboard on the bottom and a chair rail on top? If so, I'd think a vertical piece of one-by of the same material standing just a bit proud of the baseboard and chair rail would look ok. Maybe it's edges and top slightly rounded-over. Maybe install that vertical end-stop just a little shy of the bullnose corners.
\

I would either do as suggested here or go a step further and put casing around all openings. That is what I did when I put wainscoting in my dinning room.

George

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just curious. I see you've already got baseboard installed. Typically this goes in along with the beadboard - the beadboard fitting into a rabbet in the baseboard. How were you going to handle this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the delay but I appreciate everyone's response.

After another visit to home depot, I discovered 1/2" PVC quarter round molding to which I was thinking about running vertically between the chair rail and baseboard:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_310624-1487...in&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=pvc+moldin&facetInfo=

I was thinking of trimming the wall side down to 1/4" that way it will only be ~1/8" prouder than the beadboard. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, after more thought, I have decided to not remove the baseboard. I may try and miter the bottom edge of the beadboard and caulk between the baseboard to fill any gaps. This is my first home improvement project and I'm thinking the rounded corners and multiple pieced baseboard corners is a little bit beyond my means at this point.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
That is essentially what I did here even though there was a defined corner.

I would not put the beadboard on that small wall between the two openings.

George

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts